• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need Help With Network Setup

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dja2k

I need help setting up a network for a friend. She has a house and a guest room that is around 30 feet out of the house. She needs this setup quick. What can be used that can be found at a Best Buy store? Would I need a router and an extender or what do you recommend?

Another friend needs to by pass a wall and doesn't want to run a cable, now this situation is different. What setup would be good for this which he wants to have wireless and hard cable Ethernet in both rooms.

dja2k

Yes actually for both jobs, setting up two routers like that is great. I myself have two WRT54G's in WDS mode right now. So those Dlinks work good?

dja2k

Yes They work fine, we did get two about 8 months back with sequential SN that would reboot every 30 seconds but that was a one off. With out changing the aerials they should do what is required, they can be set up in different ways with a lan atached to both sides of a bridge or just as a repeater.

These people want those done as soon as possible and I can't find that model at Best Buy or other retail store here in town. Any linksys alternative like for instance connecting two WRT54G together?

dja2k

Last edited:
You can do this with any router just need to set them into bridge mode. Check linksys web page make sure it says bridge is supported.

I'm just gonna buy some Linksys WRT54G routers and apply the DD-WRT firmware hack to them allowing WDS mode. I read that v8 are hackable not like v5,6,7.

dja2k

Back