• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Speedstep and C1E Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Elluzion

Well I was wondering how these both affect overclocking. I know that it lowers the multiplier for speedstep, and C1E is some voltage setting. But I was wondering, will having C1E and Speedstep on effect the VCORE that you are running with? because with vdrop will it lower the volts even more with C1E on ? because that is what I believe it is for.

I'm just not sure if I want to have it enabled or disabled... Could I have speedstep enabled and C1E disabled and that will only lower my multiplier and not mess with my voltages?

Thanks, I know this may be a little confusing to understand but try to do your best.

are there any other settings in the bios for intel that has to do with power saving or whatever?

E L L U Z I O N

Well I was wondering how these both affect overclocking. I know that it lowers the multiplier for speedstep, and C1E is some voltage setting. But I was wondering, will having C1E and Speedstep on effect the VCORE that you are running with? because with vdrop will it lower the volts even more with C1E on ? because that is what I believe it is for.

I'm just not sure if I want to have it enabled or disabled... Could I have speedstep enabled and C1E disabled and that will only lower my multiplier and not mess with my voltages?

Thanks, I know this may be a little confusing to understand but try to do your best.

are there any other settings in the bios for intel that has to do with power saving or whatever?

E L L U Z I O N
if you want to keep your oc and have good power savings, leave them enabled, if you really dont care disable them.

C1E is not going to affect vdrop anyway, yes you could leave just speedstep enabled. that defeats the purpose of lowering power usage, while a lower clock will mean less heat. your still pumping more then C1E uses to lower power usage.

those are the only 2 settings for a "power savings" feature.

Yeah i'm most likely gnna disable both of those. I don't need power saving options

Thanks for the info Evil

Ok so Vdrop is not affected by C1E, that answers my question. So its either have them both enabled or don't have them enabled at all pretty much.

:)

When i am benching i turn them off but on my main rig which is on 24/7 i have them enabled just to be on the safe side.

^yeah. Well I will mess with it once I get my rig up and going. Right now I have to learn more about RAID and watercooling :D

According to CPU-Z my Vcore doesn't drop when the multiplier drops despite having C1E, and speedstep enabled. My theory is that since my speed and frequency have been manually entered via BIOS the MoBo/BIOS has no idea what voltage to apply at the lower speedstep. If everything is stock the MoBo/BIOS can use the 2 VIDs to determine the proper voltage at each of the speedsteps, but once I start oCing the MoBo/BIOS only has one number to go by...the manually entered Vcore. If the MoBo/BIOS was to turn down the Vcore to the lower VID when speedstep kicked in then the PC would crash. Even after speedstep has kicked in my CPU is still running almost 600MHz faster than stock speed!

According to CPU-Z my Vcore doesn't drop when the multiplier drops despite having C1E, and speedstep enabled. My theory is that since my speed and frequency have been manually entered via BIOS the MoBo/BIOS has no idea what voltage to apply at the lower speedstep. If everything is stock the MoBo/BIOS can use the 2 VIDs to determine the proper voltage at each of the speedsteps, but once I start oCing the MoBo/BIOS only has one number to go by...the manually entered Vcore. If the MoBo/BIOS was to turn down the Vcore to the lower VID when speedstep kicked in then the PC would crash. Even after speedstep has kicked in my CPU is still running almost 600MHz faster than stock speed!

i dont use cpuz for reading cpu volts, imo stick with whats provided by asus. If you have a DMM you could find the points on the mobo to measure the cpu-v as well.

Evilsizer - Are you saying that the Vcore does indeed drop when the speedstep kicks in on an OC'd machine?

As far as reading the voltage I agree that a DMM is best, but after GT Engineer fried his board I'm a little scared to stick those metal probes in there. I would solder leads, but I don't want to mess up my warranty either. As far as I know the latest version of CPU-Z measures Vcore fairly accurately...at least on my MoBo. I haven't installed the Asus Suite yet, but I had the impression it was crappy bloatware.

Evilsizer - Are you saying that the Vcore does indeed drop when the speedstep kicks in on an OC'd machine?
if you have c1e/eist enabled yes it will drop. say you have you vcore set to 1.45v for your oc. with those 2 power savings features the cpuspeed drops first then the cpu voltage drops second. thats the way it happens on my board anyway.

As far as reading the voltage I agree that a DMM is best, but after GT Engineer fried his board I'm a little scared to stick those metal probes in there. I would solder leads, but I don't want to mess up my warranty either. As far as I know the latest version of CPU-Z measures Vcore fairly accurately...at least on my MoBo. I haven't installed the Asus Suite yet, but I had the impression it was crappy bloatware.
well think about it...while cpuz can read the volts on most motherboards. that is a program for a broad range of motherboards, i dont think its mature enough yet to be as good as speedfan or mafacture specific apps.

^But. if you have a STABLE overclock at whatever lets say 9 x 400, with enough volts to be stable 24/7. And then say you have Speedstep and C1E enabled, will you still be stable when they drop?

Overall: as long as you are stable with your overclock, when you drop multi and voltage from the power saving options, you will still be stable

^is this statement correct?

if you have c1e/eist enabled yes it will drop. say you have you vcore set to 1.45v for your oc. with those 2 power savings features the cpuspeed drops first then the cpu voltage drops second. thats the way it happens on my board anyway.

According to CPU-Z my Vcore does not drop when the speed drops. Assuming your Vcore is set to 1.45v, what voltage does your Vcore drop to when speedstep kicks in? Got any screenshots? How does it know what voltage to drop to at that speed...how does it know it'll be stable?

According to CPU-Z my Vcore does not drop when the speed drops. Assuming your Vcore is set to 1.45v, what voltage does your Vcore drop to when speedstep kicks in? Got any screenshots? How does it know what voltage to drop to at that speed...how does it know it'll be stable?
its the standard vid for C1E, depending on the board its either 1.v or 1.1v. when the power savings kicks in. i dont have any ss of it but i can get one when i get home.

reason for 1v or 1.1v is due to the board.

^But. if you have a STABLE overclock at whatever lets say 9 x 400, with enough volts to be stable 24/7. And then say you have Speedstep and C1E enabled, will you still be stable when they drop?

Overall: as long as you are stable with your overclock, when you drop multi and voltage from the power saving options, you will still be stable

^is this statement correct?
do u know the answer to this question?

yes that is true, C1E/EIST is not going to effect your oc being stable or not. if it did then we would be having issues even at stock speeds.

its the standard vid for C1E, depending on the board its either 1.v or 1.1v. when the power savings kicks in. i dont have any ss of it but i can get one when i get home.

reason for 1v or 1.1v is due to the board.

I run 450x8 (3.6GHz). When speedstep kicks in my speed becomes 450x6 (2.7GHz). I did Bing's UVOC, and the fastest I could get was 2.528GHz at 1.1v. If speedstep worked as you say it does when OC'd then my PC would become unstable when speedstep kicked in.

I run 450x8 (3.6GHz). When speedstep kicks in my speed becomes 450x6 (2.7GHz). I did Bing's UVOC, and the fastest I could get was 2.528GHz at 1.1v. If speedstep worked as you say it does when OC'd then my PC would become unstable when speedstep kicked in.

thats one thing i forgot i thought it lowered the fsb aswell, my bad... yea EIST just lowers the multi so your cpu is still oced so thats kinda a problem. the only option then in this case would be to disable C1E since that controls the voltage part of the cpu. Then just leave the EIST enabled that way it just drops the multi.

Im getting some of the EIST/C1E mixed up with the newer Core 2 mobile cpus and the can change fsb on demand, also auto ocing the cpu.

Cool...I knew something wasn't right.

It seems to me that even if C1E is enabled in the BIOS, the manual Vcore setting or manual FSB setting overrides C1E somehow.

Back