• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What's the cheapest way to take pdf htm txt files to read with you on the move?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

c627627

c(n*199780) Senior Member
Maybe some sort of a used handheld... what are the choices these days?

how big of a device you looking for?

I'm pretty sure you can pick up some old notebook on the cheap.

No, something I can use while standing up.

if your looking for a new cell phone id say go for a smart phone....

I would recommend a pda, but would never want to carry around both a phone and a pda. I am pretty much attached at the hip to my treo.

This is for use once in a blue moon, that's why I don't need anything fancy, just a hadheld device that I can transfer pdf and txt files to for reading on the go.

Nice for well over half a grand. :)

Let's say I research buying, I don't know, a refrigerator. I'd like to take Consumer Reports pdf ratings of refrigerators and go around the store checking them out while consulting the ratings and other research saved into txt files.

You could buy an old Palm Pilot and run the Palm version of Adobe Reader. I used to do that for Apple service manuals at work, the main problem was the small amount of memory on the Palm combined with rather large PDFs meant I couldn't load many at any one given time, but other then that the detail on the images was high enough that it worked out fairly well. You could probably get such a device for under $20 used. The Palm I used was a Sony Clie SJ-20 (I think).

Why didn't they build these things to connect to USB sticks or other media cards?

I mean, how does that not make 100% perfect sense? It accesses data from a USB stick - problem solved....

Why didn't they build these things to connect to USB sticks or other media cards?

I mean, how does that not make 100% perfect sense? It accesses data from a USB stick - problem solved....

The Palm Pilots? Their heyday was before the USB stick's time.

I'd get some kind of Phone/PDA combination should read pdf's. Most phones have adequate internet browsers.

How about a hand held device that simply reads files from USB sticks or media cards? There's gotta be something like that.... is there?

The Sony Clie's take Sony's Memory Stick, other handhelds use various types of proprietary media too. None take regular USB sticks that I'm aware of.

None are simple, sorry.

You mean to tell me that not one person in the great state of China... not one person on the entire island of Taiwan... thinks they can make money off a cheapo device that reads txt files from removable storage....

:eek:

:bang head

Actually, there are lots of PDA like items on the market. Taking a quick look at Amazon.com, it would seem that you are looking in the $50 to $100 price range.

If people suddenly made cheap items that only did exactly what you needed, life as we know would cease to exist. The world would prolly blow up or something. lol

The problem I remember with the Palm OS version of Adobe Reader is that it couldn't read PDFs stored on a memory stick. You'd have to free up memory on the PDA, and then copy the PDF over from the memory stick. My PDA only had about 7 MB of usable space on the unit itself, and copying operations were painfully slow, that part sucked. :)

Might not be so much of an issue on a relatively newer PDA that had a significant amount of built-in memory. Mine was pretty old and greyscale only, probably the reason it can be found used for less then $20.

Want to go into business? :beer:
That exactly what I was thinking, that's what it's all about, finding something no one came out with, something people need: cheap handheld file readers that read files off of USB sticks.

Malpine, can they read removable storage on the fly... quick enough?

Back