• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My Antec TruePower 550 still cutting it??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pyramus

Hi all,

I recently bought some new parts! (see sig) I didn't bother buying a PSU as I presumed my old Antec TruePower 550 watt which I have had for a couple years now would be enough.

Is it enough or should I upgrade?

Cheers!

Erm amps on the 12 volt rail of your PSU.. the 12 volt is the most important element to the PSU now adays.. 30 Amps.. should be enough.. but if you had issues with it before you may consider getting the HX520, its very popular.

Erm amps on the 12 volt rail of your PSU.. the 12 volt is the most important element to the PSU now adays.. 30 Amps.. should be enough.. but if you had issues with it before you may consider getting the HX520, its very popular.

Well I didn't have issues with it on my old setup. I have just having a few probs with my new one. I am not certain that its because of the PSU but more than likely it is.

Well I was having a few problems initially when I set it up. Some people on other forums are suggesting its my psu as its outdated now.

Old Truepower 550W means equally old Fuhjyyu capacitors inside. I'd wager several have failed already due to years of being used with inadequate cooling, and are bulging and/or leaking. I'd go ahead and upgrade.

Old Truepower 550W means equally old Fuhjyyu capacitors inside. I'd wager several have failed already due to years of being used with inadequate cooling, and are bulging and/or leaking. I'd go ahead and upgrade.

Thanks! You are probably right! Any recommendations?

Thanks! You are probably right! Any recommendations?

Pyramus,

I went through two borked Antec TP 480s with bad caps. I asked and listened to OW's recommendation and bought the one in my sig. Had it about 9 months now and it's all OW said it would be and more plus a 5 year warranty. It'll run your system with ease.

Pyramus,

I went through two borked Antec TP 480s with bad caps. I asked and listened to OW's recommendation and bought the one in my sig. Had it about 9 months now and it's all OW said it would be and more plus a 5 year warranty. It'll run your system with ease.

Yea? Thats good! Alot of people have been recommending me the one above that one, the 620watt! I presume they are both good!

I was also looking at a Thermaltake 850watt as it was the same price as the Corsair 620w

Yea? Thats good! Alot of people have been recommending me the one above that one, the 620watt! I presume they are both good!

I was also looking at a Thermaltake 850watt as it was the same price as the Corsair 620w

Pyramus,

If you added a DVD/RW and a couple hard drives, the system you listed may pull 350 watts.

What were the problems? Are you still having them?

Well the latest problem is that my Philips DVD/CDRW drive is not working. Its a strange one as windows knows its there. (Its mentioned on startup screen, in bios and in the device manager which says the drivers are up to date)

However, when I click Start-->Computer I see the C: drive and A: drive (I don't have one !!!) but no mention of a D: drive at all :(

The other problem is that when I boot up the computer, it cuts out for a second and boots up again by itself!

Well the latest problem is that my Philips DVD/CDRW drive is not working. Its a strange one as windows knows its there. (Its mentioned on startup screen, in bios and in the device manager which says the drivers are up to date)

However, when I click Start-->Computer I see the C: drive and A: drive (I don't have one !!!) but no mention of a D: drive at all :(

The other problem is that when I boot up the computer, it cuts out for a second and boots up again by itself!

That cutting out and restarting is normal but Abit has a beta bios(might be a Non beta by now)fix for that .P35 and P965 chipsets both do that.I have an OCZ 520 Powerstream and it powers my system with 3 HD's .2 in Raid 0 and 1 as a backup +2 DVD+RW's and a Dangerden D5 pump and 4 120mm fans and my CPU OCed to 3.4ghz with no problems..But anyway i plan on getting a Corsair HX620 or the Ultra X3 600.And putting my 520 in my backup rig

http://www.jonnyguru.com/review_details.php?id=32

Last edited:
That cutting out and restarting is normal but Abit has a beta bios(might be a Non beta by now)fix for that .P35 and P965 chipsets both do that.I have an OCZ 520 Powerstream and it powers my system with 3 HD's .2 in Raid 0 and 1 as a backup +2 DVD+RW's and a Dangerden D5 pump and 4 120mm fans and my CPU OCed to 3.4ghz with no problems..But anyway i plan on getting a Corsair HX620 or the Ultra X3 600.And putting my 520 in mu backup rig

http://www.jonnyguru.com/review_details.php?id=32

Yea I read that review and others! All positive!

Last edited:
That cutting out and restarting is normal but Abit has a beta bios(might be a Non beta by now)fix for that .P35 and P965 chipsets both do that.

The cutting out is ok as its only a sec or two but when I leave the computer off over night and switch it on in the morning everything comes on apart from the cpu fan and after about a minute it retarts itself and all is ok. But still its not right.

Hmm i know that P965 and P35 do this everytime you restart your PC.Mine starts and then shuts down for a second and restarts to.But it only takes like 10 seconds.

Back