• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The cost of adding a pelt

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

satandole666

I'm looking for the cheapest way to increase my cooling capacity in my current setup. My sig is 100% up to date. So for the questions...

Could I power a 226W Pelt with my HX620? If I have to buy another PSU to run the pelt that's kind of a bummer.

Also, minus the addition of a hotplate/coldplate, would my current WCing setup be able to cool the additional watts generated? If I have to replace any portion of the setup (waterblock, rad, etc) I don't think it'll be worth it.

What I'm pretty much trying to do is buy a Pelt ($35-40) and a cold plate ($5-7) and be done with the whole deal. Is this possible?

Thanks.

It'd hard to say but I imagine it'd work out well. What you aren't considering is also the increase in your powerbill due to running the peltier. Better of with just straight water in my book or jumping to a chiller.

It'd hard to say but I imagine it'd work out well. What you aren't considering is also the increase in your powerbill due to running the peltier. Better of with just straight water in my book or jumping to a chiller.

Thanks for the reply.

Straight water is working alright for now. Temps get out of hand when I push 3.6ghz (65c range) so I'm thinking there is something wrong with my setup. The only thing I haven't replaced is my radiator and I definitely can't afford to replace it just to find out.

I need to test my current water temps and see how far above ambient they are.

As far as a chiller, I don't have the tools or expertise (gotta love living in apartments) to undertake such an endeavor. If I could find one to buy or actual instructions (I have no clue about heating/AC/condensor stuff) on making one I might be able to set aside the time, find the tools, and find a place to build a chiller. Unless that happens its a no go.

I'm not a watercooling professional, I do phase change, so I can't tell you if your current setup is operating correctly or not. I would think though with watercooling that you'd run cooler than 60C at 3.6G with a Fuzion block. Chillers can be extremely cheap or extremely expensive, I myself prefer building quality chillers that look like singlestages, not a huge fan of the ghetto window-shaker builds. I wonder if you have bad contact or just a hot processor?

Back