• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU Probs! Core 2 Quad 6600!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pyramus

Hi all,

This could actually be a psu prob but I welcome your advice.

The first thing I will say is should I have added grease to the processor? Somebody asked me did I do this and I knew nothing about it. There was no grease/paste in the box!! :confused:

So....what exactly is the problem?

I assume when you say "grease" you mean thermal interface material (TIM). If so, then yes, you need it! :D

PSU problem?

Probably want to order some ceramique thermal paste from an etailer and put a vertical line of it on your cpu's ihs.

So....what exactly is the problem?

I assume when you say "grease" you mean thermal interface material (TIM). If so, then yes, you need it! :D

Well, I am having probs with the pc booting up and re-booting itself but apparently thats a common prob with my particular motherboard and it just needs a bios update to sort out.

But when the pc is off for a couple hours and I go to boot it up everything starts up except the cpu fan. However, after about 2 mins the pc reboots by itself and the fan works then. There are no problems while pc is on.

I didn't get any TIM with my cpu!!

What's the problem again?

PSU problem, not very likely unless you're drawing SLI and harddrives etc. Even the clunkiest PSU have little problems these days if you only have a few components.

Grease, don't worry about it. Even if it didn't come with it, a quick run to Newegg.com or Frys, a new stick of AS5 can be had for <$20.

Dunno what else you might be referring to

What's the problem again?

PSU problem, not very likely unless you're drawing SLI and harddrives etc. Even the clunkiest PSU have little problems these days if you only have a few components.

Grease, don't worry about it. Even if it didn't come with it, a quick run to Newegg.com or Frys, a new stick of AS5 can be had for <$20.

Dunno what else you might be referring to

Well I can't order from there as I am in Ireland! But I am sure there are palces here that do them.

The probs are described in post above!

There is no mention of TIM on the installation manual either! :bang head
Did the cpu come with a heatsink or not? :eh?:

If yes, then it came "preinstalled" on the bottom of the heatsink.

In the BIOS, what are the CPU temps?

o he got a board that doesnt have the updated bios. the IP35-E/IP35 have a double boot issue that is resolved with a bios update.. nothing to worry about, but if you system is restarting on its own during a gamming session, to me thats a psu issue. see this thread at abit.
http://forum.uabit.com/showthread.php?t=127743

o he got a board that doesnt have the updated bios. the IP35-E/IP35 have a double boot issue that is resolved with a bios update.. nothing to worry about, but if you system is restarting on its own during a gamming session, to me thats a psu issue. see this thread at abit.
http://forum.uabit.com/showthread.php?t=127743

No it only restarts on boot up. Doesn't take long if I am restarting but as I said if its off over night it takes ages for the 2nd boot up. During which time the heatsink fan doesn't move until the 2nd boot.

I think I have a psu issue too as my dvd drive isn't working even though windows knows its there! I have a thread on this in the psu section.

Back