• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Requested proof of Thermalright quality control issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Notlag

Requested proof of TR quality control problems - TR U120X vs TT Maxorb

EDIT: Please read my disclaimer at the end - this is not a recommendation for a specific heatsink, but a discussion on apparent Thermalright quality control problems.

I posted previously about major quality control issues at Thermalright, warning people to be very wary of their products until the issues were addressed. Despite being very thorough with my testing (even validating my methodology w/ the stock heatsink), I was flamed for (heaven forbid) saying that Thermalright has been turning out some pretty poorly constructed parts lately. Many people also requested proof in the form of screen caps and asked me to test my TR U120X against another cooler at overclocked speeds, and there were some people of the opinion that I should post absolute temps rather than calculating the thermal resistance of the solution.

People have insisted they've had great TR U120X's because it has reduced their temperature by a considerable margin versus the stock HSF - but has it reduced temps for them as far as it should? Have most people went to any length to validate that their TR U120X performs the way it should? When most people have warmer temperatures than they should, they don't think the heatsink is defective, they lap the base, try to improve their airflow, accept the improvement those two things offer, and figure any other deficiencies are the result of something else in their system.

So... I purchased a Thermaltake MaxOrb. It's not a bad cooler, but common sense tells us it shouldn't cool anywhere near as well as the TR U120X - it has fewer heatpipes, has less surface area, weighs much less, and is not a tower cooler. Besides, we all "know" it should perform nowhere close to the TR U120X because the many reviews tell us so (which is precisely why I selected it - I estimated it would perform as well as my defective U120X's even though it should perform much worse than a working one). Just take a look at AnandTech:

http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.aspx?i=3001&p=6

Before people start running on about how reviews don't tell the story and how manufacturers send the review sites "golden samples" that are picked from the production runs because they have better than normal performance, remember that the same thing can be said for Thermaltake. The above review was performed using a standard test platform, performed by the same person, and Thermaltake should be just as likely to send them a "golden sample" for review as Thermalright. While it is arguable that ther reviewers would receive better performance from their parts than we will from retail parts, if the two companies manufacture their retail parts with similar quality controls, then the retail TR U120X should generally outperform the retail TT Maxorb by a similar margin.

Unfortunately, that's not the way it worked - with either TR U120X I received. When tested side by side, they performed nearly identically. I will not argue that the U120X is by far the better design, but it is clearly not manufactured with the same attention to quality. Even the best engineering can be crippled by poor manufacturing.

Don't take my word for it though, here are the test results:

Test Platform
-------------
E4300 @ 9 x 333 MHz, 1.325v set in BIOS
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3P
Antec P180B case w/ side removed
Antec Tri-cool fans throughout
Rear case fan set to low
Top, bottom, and front case fans set to high
Room temperature was consistently 75F throughout testing
TAT was used to load the cores (TAT provides the highest possible load on the cores - more so than Orthos - while some may argue that it is unrealistically high load, it is fair to compare load temps between heat sinks provided the same application is used to create the load, and many others would argue TAT is the better tool for testing cooling than Orthos anyways)

Summary of results
------------------
Thermalright U120X Idle: 27C (Speedfan CPU temp) / 39C-40C (TAT core temp)
Thermalright U120X 100% Load: 54C (Speedfan CPU temp) / 66C (TAT core temp)
Thermaltake Maxorb Idle: 27C (Speedfan CPU temp) / 39C-40C (TAT core temp)
Thermaltake Maxorb 100% Load: 54C (Speedfan CPU temp) / 67C (TAT core temp)

Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme
------------------------------
DSCN2367D.JPG

Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme (as mounted in my PC)

The heatsink fan is an Antec Tri-cool fan at high speed (79CFM). The Antec Tri-cool series fans have been well reviewed on SPCR:

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article695-page3.html#tricool

People have criticized the horizontal mounting because they say the video card obstructs air flow, but if you look at the picture, there's around 3" of clearance between the video card and the fan inlet. In addition, the top of the video card is well below the top of the fan, so the upper portion of the fan is completely unobstructed. If I mounted the heatsink vertically then the optical drives and cables would provide as much obstruction as the video card.

And the screenshots of the test results:

TRU120X-3GHz-75A-80F-Idle.jpg

TRU120X-3GHz-75A-80F.jpg

Thermaltake Maxorb
-------------------
DSCN2629D.JPG

Thermaltake Maxorb (as mounted in my PC)

Air flow may be somewhat less restricted than the Thermalright, and the air is not coming from near the northbridge and video card, so it may be slightly cooler. I verified that by measuring the fan inlet temps on both heatsinks, and indeed the Maxorb's fan inlet air temperature was about 1.5C lower than the Thermalright U120X. However, any test of the heatsink installed in a real PC is likely going to have similar issues. Vertical orientation might reduce the difference a bit, but even if it made up the entire difference, 1.5C doesn't impact the results of these tests enough to invalidate them. At the clock speed of the processor as tested, the Maxorb should have run around 8C to 12C hotter than the Thermalright U120X (based on Anandtech and other reviews).

It didn't though. In fact, it ran nearly the same exact temperature. The CPU package temp was the same while the cores were only 1C hotter:

MAXORB-3GHz-75A-77F-Idle.jpg

MAXORB-3GHz-75A-77F.jpg

Other Things Worth Noting
-------------------------

Bear in mind this is not an isolated incident. This is the 2nd TR U120X in a row that has performed this way. There've also been quite a few other posts lately by people asking if their warm U120X temps are normal. Nevermind that the bases have also had really bad quality:

DSCN2411D.JPG

That said, for those with defective heat sinks, if the defect is with your heat pipes, lapping the heat sink will NOT fix the problem. I should know - I lapped my 1st heat sink, and I had to fight like hell to get it replaced when it became obvious that there was more wrong than just the base:

DSCN2390C.JPG

Yes, the lapping of the 1st heat sink improved temperatures by 3C or so versus what is in this review, but you can safely figure the review sites did not lap their heat sinks, nor should someone have to lap the heat sink just to get the performance of it closer to what it should be without lapping. Even counting that 3C improvement (some of which resulted from the CPU lapping), it isn't as good as the heatsink is "supposed" to perform. If you want to lap your TR U120X, go ahead - but wait until you know you have nothing else wrong with it.

What was Thermalright's response to all this when I first brought it to them (before I argued like hell on the 2nd heat sink)? Read it for yourself:

Hi, Mike

The first thing is that review is not tested by Thermalright.
There are many variables in each test.
I can not promise each heatsnk has the same performance (better or worse) with review one.
The base of extreme is just a little convex.
Therefore, it doesn’t result in bending.

It is normal. Don’t worry about this performance.

Peter Chen

So, now that I've provided the proof I was asked for, hopefully this thread won't be deleted, and maybe at some point Thermalright will take note of the fact that they can't swing crappy quality control passed us forever before we stop buying their produts. I'm currently waiting on my 3rd heat sink from them. Maybe they'll get it right on the 3rd try. If it works I'll post the working heat sink results. But until they can state that they've taken steps to improve their manufacturing controls, I'll be reluctant to buy any other products from them. While there are a lot of people here that have been happy with their Thermalright heat sinks, somebody purchasing from them today runs the same chance I did in ending up w/ something that looks fine but works poorly. If I had to do it all over again, I'd have probably water cooled (which would've ran $300+ for the performance I wanted) or went with some other model. Even the mediocre Maxorb I just tested performed nearly as well as the U120X.

Disclaimer
For the record, this is not a recommendation for a TT Maxorb or any other specific cooler. The fact is, Thermalright's engineering is really top-notch and the TR U120X is, at the time of this post, by far the best heatsink design on the market. However, the best engineering can still be crippled by bad manufacturing, and I'm not the first person to get a dud from them and complain about it. Two in a row is pretty bad though, and their customer service's initial response was awful (their over-seas support at least - their US support has tried to be helpful, but has at times had their hands tied by over-seas).

Don't buy a TT Maxorb thinking you'll get TR U120X like performance - they're in an entirely different class and a working TR U120X will blow a TT Maxorb away. I compared the two to show just how bad a defective TR U120X could get (and prove to the doubters that both of mine were indeed defective). If you have qualms about purchasing from Thermalright (I do now), then consider some other high performance tower heatpipe coolers like the Tuniq Tower, Scythe Ninja Plus B, Noctua NH-U12, Zalman CNPS9700, or 3RSystems Iceage 120. Water cooling is another option, but plan on spending $300 to beat the above coolers.

Last edited:
Not this again....

From the looks of that first pic you have the fan on the bottom between the video card and the U120. Is that fan pulling or pushing? Cause if its pushing its pulling hot air from the video card through the HS. So of course your temps would be higher if thats the case.

Also, most people mount the HS so its facing the back of the machine, so cooler air goes through it and gets exhausted out the back of the machine.

I have seen very few complaints about this HS and many more "OMG THIS HS ROCKS" comments.

As with any manufacturer there are always some defects.

Did it even occur to you that your temp probe may be wrong?

Have you tried this in a different board?

What about the HS? is it hot to the touch at the base?

Good luck!

Sorry to hear that you are having such troubles.

On a side note, that was a horrible response from TR by a guy who obviously knows little...

"don't worry about this performance..."

That is like phoning in about a new car and the guy tells you: "No, really, that billowing black smoke cloud coming out the front is completely normal. Don't worry about it..."

Not this again....

Sorry - ppl requested proof and pics, so I'm providing them as they do vindicate my earlier thread somewhat where I didn't have 'proof'.

From the looks of that first pic you have the fan on the bottom between the video card and the U120. Is that fan pulling or pushing? Cause if its pushing its pulling hot air from the video card through the HS. So of course your temps would be higher if thats the case.

Bear in mind on Nvidia 8000 series cards, I'm fairly sure the fan on the video card's heatsink sucks in air and exhausts the hot air out the back of the case. The card will still be warm, as will the northbridge, but I did check for the fan inlet temperature and its only about 1.5C higher for the Thermalright than it was for the Maxorb. Also, see my note below about my side inlet fan - it blows fresh air in next to the heatsink when the case is closed.

Also, most people mount the HS so its facing the back of the machine, so cooler air goes through it and gets exhausted out the back of the machine.

I'll give you that. The reason it is mounted the way it is on my case is because I am mounting a side panel inlet fan that blows fresh air in right by the heatsink fan inlet. I can't mount that fan near the drive bays where it would need to be if I rotated the heatsink 90 degrees.

I have seen very few complaints about this HS and many more "OMG THIS HS ROCKS" comments.

It doesn't help that those of us that post against TR on this board tend to get flamed. My last post, which didn't contain the pics, but listed all the steps I've taken (a lot more than just the tests here), was deleted after people flamed me nearly non-stop (nevermind one moderator did speak up in favor of it saying that there was nothing wrong w/ the methodology).

As with any manufacturer there are always some defects.

True. But two in a row? Then the manufacturer telling me that performance was fine? And don't forget a LOT of people have complained about the bases being had. Oh, and what about the threads that come around periodically on high temps w/ U120X's, trying to figure out what they're doing wrong?

Did it even occur to you that your temp probe may be wrong?

The ambient air probe may very well be untrustworthy. For that matter, the board's temperature probe for CPU temp may not be good. But the on-die thermal diodes reported by TAT should be working just fine. Even so, we're not talking about absolute temps, we're talking about relative performance. Even if the thermal probes are low or high, the TR U120X as tested comes up w/ temps the same as the Maxorb. We know that should not be the case if the U120X is performing the way it is designed to.

Have you tried this in a different board?

No, I haven't tried a different board. But I've tried three heatsinks on this board, and only one heatsink has trouble - the TR. The Maxorb works as well as I would expect it to, and the Intel stock heat sink performs exactly as it is spec'd.

What about the HS? is it hot to the touch at the base?

The TR heatsink (in both cases) has been cool to the touch w/ a warm (but not scalding) base. My thought is Thermalright has been producing some defective heatpipes (not filling them correctly, not sealed correctly, or some internal damage that prevents good capillary action).

I have an early U120X i dont have the temp probs you have had but the bottom of it was very bad with machining marks i have lapped it and i am happy with its performance. I have know dought that you have had duff heatsinks from them. You have made a claim and backed it up with the proof. If people want to start flaming again all i say is lets see there proof that you are wrong.

You sure have a h*rd-on for Thermalright. It's almost comical the way you've been slinging poo at them on this forum.

Let me see if I understand things correctly. You got a heatsink or two that didn't meet your expectations. You modified it and got all butthurt when they hesitated to exchange it for a new one. Because of your individual experience with 2 heatsinks, you come to the conclusion that Thermalright has "major quality control issues". Meanwhile, it seems most folks are pleased as punch with the performance of the U120X (and Thermalright's products in general).

If Thermalright's products and level of customer service don't meet your expectations, send them a message by taking your business elsewhere. Vindictively slamming them on the boards and trying to steer people away from their products is childish, IMO.
icon13.gif

You sure have a h*rd-on for Thermalright. It's almost comical the way you've been slinging poo at them on this forum.

Let me see if I understand things correctly. You got a heatsink or two that didn't meet your expectations. You modified it and got all butthurt when they hesitated to exchange it for a new one. Because of your individual experience with 2 heatsinks, you come to the conclusion that Thermalright has "major quality control issues". Meanwhile, it seems most folks are pleased as punch with the performance of the U120X (and Thermalright's products in general).

If Thermalright's products and level of customer service don't meet your expectations, send them a message by taking your business elsewhere. Vindictively slamming them on the boards and trying to steer people away from their products is childish, IMO.
icon13.gif

Hey man give the guy a break. You would be "butt hurt" too if you got two bad HS's in a row. He is obviously trying to resolve the problem by any which means he can and he is doing everyone a favor by reporting his findings, good or bad.

I would like to see your tests on a Quad core and see if the U120E comes out in the same position. From what I have seen it really shines on Quads.

Not Lag,

Is there any way you can get us ambient temps inside/outside of the case?

Also, is it possible to rotate the HSF so you can blow the hot air out the back exhaust fan?

Hey man give the guy a break. You would be "butt hurt" too if you got two bad HS's in a row. He is obviously trying to resolve the problem by any which means he can and he is doing everyone a favor by reporting his findings, good or bad.

Actually, I wouldn't. I'd work it out with the manufacturer or I'd order another one, keep the one that worked best and return the other. I wouldn't spread rumors of "major quality control issues" or attempt to steer others away from their product. Though, perhaps I see things differently as a business owner.

I agree. He has valid reasons, so it's not just hatemail.

I used to badmouth gigabyte many years ago (not on OCF but to friends) because I had three bad mobos in a row...

Now I realize that it was just a fluke and should probably give them more credit...

The point is that when it happened I wanted to make them eat the faulty motherboards I was so angry lol

I agree. He has valid reasons, so it's not just hatemail.

I used to badmouth gigabyte many years ago (not on OCF but to friends) because I had three bad mobos in a row...

Now I realize that it was just a fluke and should probably give them more credit...

The point is that when it happened I wanted to make them eat the faulty motherboards I was so angry lol

And if they are indeed faulty, then TR's customer service should kick in and resolve the issue by whatever means necessary. That way everyone walks away a winner.

And if they are indeed faulty, then TR's customer service should kick in and resolve the issue by whatever means necessary. That way everyone walks away a winner.

You're absolutely right, they should. And they have issued an RMA and I'm waiting for the replacement.

But I shouldn't have to argue w/ them to get decent customer service. I had to argue w/ them in several long emails, send photos, call them to get a response, etc... Just to get that RMA. Bear in mind that's on the heat sink which was NOT lapped. The lapped heatsink I ended up replacing with NewEgg.

They're customer service also shouldn't look at these test results and tell me that the heatsink is performing normally unless it really is (in which case they're making a bold statement about the quality of their own heatsinks). Read the quote from the email they sent me. That's exactly what they're saying. They figure there's enough variables that they can hide the crappy quality control behind statements that I'm getting the performance I should expect. Come on now.

Also, it's not just my two bad heat sinks. How many people have posted here about bad bases on the TR heat sinks? How many people have had to lap to get the good performance they brag about? If their bases are that bad out of the box why should we assume the rest of their machining is wonderful? Nevermind people that do have unexplainable bad temps with their heat sink that aren't fixed by lapping. Search these forums. Look at NewEgg. I'm hardly the only person. How many more people "think" they're getting great temps because it's better than the stock heatsink, but still are getting nowhere near what they should?

I'm posting because it's about time somebody really calls Thermalright out on it. They've been producing products that don't measure up to the quality of their engineering. Is it that difficult to believe? And if that is the case, then not only is it reasonable for me to point it out, but I'm providing good information to other people that are considering purchasing. They can make their own choices.

Also, for what it's worth, I haven't been slinging **** at them all over the forum. If you read most of my posts on TR heatsinks, I may mention their quality issues as fact, but I still provide useful feedback and suggestions. On this and other forums, it's reasonable for me to tell someone not to lap before making sure they have a good heat sink (because lapping voids the warranty), or thoughts on how to improve mounting pressure, or ways to validate their heat sink's performance, or help mounting the fan, etc... And I've only mentioned the quality control issues in posts where people are concerned their temps are too high or that they aren't getting what they expected.

But instead the Customer Service tells him not to worry about it. How is that solves anything??

Either way, it seems that my Zalman is better then both of those heatsinks.
As some one said earlier; then next step is to test it in another mobo, because you might have a faulty sensor. Test the TR cooler in your friends PC.

And yes, every company once in a while makes a lemon, it happens.

I'm not sure why everyone is jumping all over Notlag for posting his experiences with his HS. I dont think he is bashing thermalright, he is just pointing out that he has an issuse with the performance of the heatsink. Looking at those load temp numbers something definitly seems off. A E4300 @ 9 x 333 MHz, 1.325v set in BIOS, ~1.3v in CPUz with a load temp of 66C. ouch. That would only make sense if the ambient room temp was around 30C or maybe abit higher.
Maybe his thermal sensors are off? Who knows. It would be nice to test that HS on another system to see if in fact the sensors where not reporting correctly.

I feel for ya man, Good Luck.

Actually, I wouldn't. I'd work it out with the manufacturer or I'd order another one, keep the one that worked best and return the other. I wouldn't spread rumors of "major quality control issues" or attempt to steer others away from their product. Though, perhaps I see things differently as a business owner.

I owned and operated my own business for 6 years. Admittadly, my business was service oriented, not manufacturing, so it's not quite the same thing. But I have tried to take it up w/ the manufacturer and customer service (especially over-seas) was less than ideal (US service was ok, but their hands were tied by over-seas).

If you go to buy a car, and you read Consumer Reports, and they say this car has a history of problems, so you don't buy it, was it unfair of them to steer you away from it? My input about their history of problems isn't just about my experience (I provide my experience of proof of the defect), but also unexplained poor TR U120X performance (which is typically blamed on the user or setup), the bad bases, etc...

Maybe his thermal sensors are off? It would be nice to test that HS on another system.

It would be nice to do that. Unfortunately, my other system can't be overclocked - it's based on an Intel board.

That said, even if the sensors were off, it would affect both heatsinks. So here you have a test that shows identical performance between the Maxorb and the U120X, which obviously should not be the case, and the temperatures should affect them equally. I've also tested the stock heatsink (not shown here), and that has performed as expected. That sorta' proves the sensors aren't at fault.

I would like to see your tests on a Quad core and see if the U120E comes out in the same position. From what I have seen it really shines on Quads.

Well, if I can talk myself into buying a quad, I'll let you know :p But most of what I use my PC for won't take advantage of the quad. Given that, I figured I'd just buy a budget chip and clock it up. Admittadly, now the quads are starting to come down in price. Maybe down the line :p

Buying a quad is not going to prove that TR HSF performs as well as it should. Seriously, if a TR cant cool a E4300, there is no way its going to cool a Quad chip.

Buying a quad is not going to prove that TR HSF performs as well as it should. Seriously, if a TR cant cool a E4300, there is no way its going to cool a Quad chip.

Agreed - but I wouldn't mind having one :p

Back