• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help -Need Standalone backup to USB Drive

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

loves-tech

Registered
Can anyone help me? I need to find a standalone backup/restore program that will backup my local disk to a USB hard drive. I currently have Ghost V9.0 that will restore from a USB hard drive, but it will not backup in stand alone mode. I have an older Ghost standalone Backup/restore, but it will not recognize USB hard drive. Can anyone recommend a good backup/restore program that is bootable from a CD that will recognize a USB harddrive?
Thanks

Acronis 10 Home would have to be one of the best and simplest to use.

If you had your sig in place, I would be able to make some other suggestions, but assume you are still on XP (as Vista has a bare metal backup proggy built in)

Re Acronis... d/l the trial (need to register) and try it in windows. The version you buy, allows you to create a bootable CD and it's just like windows to use.

If you don't want to spend the cash... (and depending on your board's chipset and drive structures (raid, etc)... there is absolutely nothing wrong with BartPE boot CD with DriveXML plugin. I also use that all the time, and like Acronis... it can be used from the bootable CD or from within windows... both allow restoration of either complete partition, or individual files/folders.

Hope that helps

My favorite backup program is called SyncBack. It has two versions. The free version and the $30 version. The only difference is that the $30 version can backup open files. It doesn't do full system backups to bootable CD's. But if you are just backing up files, it is the best I've ever found. It is made by a company called 2 Bright Sparks.

Actually, I just picked up Acronis 11 while in Singapore... works a treat for me.

Back