• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Crucial Ballistix DDR2-1000 went bad? - Please help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nkcd

I have a set of 4G (4x1GB)Crucial Ballistix DDR2-1000 in my system for couple months already.

Today, the system froze up. I restarted the PC. It wouldn't post. I clear the CMOS, wouldn't post.

So I removed 2 sticks of the Memory (2 and 4) - just arbitrarily. System posted.
Inserted 1 of the 2 removed stick (stick #2). System posted
Inserted 2nd of the 2 removed stick (stick #4). System DID NOT post.

Took out Stick #4. System Posted.
Took out stick #3. System Posted.

Inserted Stick #4 into the 3rd slot. System DID NOT Post.
Remved Stick #4 (in 3rd slot). System Posted.
Inserted Stick#3 back to its 3rd slot. System Posted.

So my conclusion was stick #4 failed. Do you agree?

Also, what's the warranty on these? I bought them couple months ago (less than 6 months). Are there any Crucial Reps on the site that I can contact regarding the exchange?

The spec is the red system in my signature.

Thanks a lot.

Did you try different memory slot with the defective memory stick? Did you try running defective mory stick without other memories?

Crucial memory should have lifetime warranty.

I tried 1 diff slot with the defective stick along with the good ones. It didn't work. I didn't try it by itself however since I do not have room to remove stick 1 without taking off the HS.

Just try one stick at a time and run memtest. The bad stick(s) will show themselves.

Maybe you have a bad DIMM slot?

Back