• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

So can anyone see whats wrong?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MasterCraft

System in sig.

Vista 64 ultimate
Coretemp cores sit at 24-25 idle, 35-38 under load, stock.
Custom WC.

When I built this PC, and clocked it up originally, it went right to 4ghz with almost no effort at all. temps went into the high 50's under load, was prime and orthos stable.

I flashed the motherboard bios, which failed, so I RMA'd the board, and when I got my new one... BLAH.

It won't clock past 380 fsb to save my life. I can't figure out why.

I've jacked up the voltages to unsafe levels, and messed with all the settings I felt comfortable with messing with, and it just won't post past 380.

By not posting, I mean I get no video, requiring a Reset.

Any ideas? did I overlook something? It's the same bios that was on the original board.

Here's most of the bios settings, fresh vista install.

C1E - disabled
max cpuid - disabled
vanderpool - disabled
cpu tm - enabled
execute - enabled
pecl - enabled

AI overclocking - manual
CPU ratio control - manual
Ratio CMOS - 8
FSB strap to northbridge - auto
FSB frequency - 380mhz
PCI-E frequency - 100mhz
DRAM frequency - 912mhz
DRAM command rate - auto

Transaction booster - auto
clock overcharging mode - auto

CPU spread spectrum - disabled
PCI-E spread spectrum - disabled
CPU voltage - 1.45v
voltage reference - auto
CPU voltage damper - enabled
CPU PLL - auto
Northbridge voltage - 1.4v
DRAM Voltage - 2.00v

everything else is on auto.

C1E - disabled
max cpuid - disabled

There are no gains in disabling any CPU options other than speedstep and such.

-D

AI overclocking - manual
Ratio CMOS - 8
FSB frequency - 380mhz
PCI-E frequency - 100mhz
DRAM frequency - 912mhz
DRAM command rate - auto
If these are the same... It looks like you are on a divider. 380x2=760, not 912.
See where your dram freq is, it's 912. Highlight that>enter, you should have a selection of numbers, pick the one that is double the fsb freq. That will be 1:1. A good place to start. Also pertaining to the nb strap, if I remember, the "333" is the one you could use.. I left mine on "auto" because it gives you a better selection of dividers in the DRAM freq area. Which is good.

Also, with running the 2x2 gigs of ram, you'll have to increase the voltage to the nb. Running the 4gig of ram will hold you back from breaking any oc records.

Last edited:
AI overclocking - manual
Ratio CMOS - 8
FSB frequency - 380mhz
PCI-E frequency - 100mhz
DRAM frequency - 912mhz
DRAM command rate - auto
If these are the same... It looks like you are on a divider. 380x2=760, not 912.
See where your dram freq is, it's 912. Highlight that>enter, you should have a selection of numbers, pick the one that is double the fsb freq. That will be 1:1. A good place to start. Also pertaining to the nb strap, if I remember, the "333" is the one you could use.. I left mine on "auto" because it gives you a better selection of dividers in the DRAM freq area. Which is good.

Also, with running the 2x2 gigs of ram, you'll have to increase the voltage to the nb. Running the 4gig of ram will hold you back from breaking any oc records.

I'm not concerned with breaking records, but it broke 4 ghz without breaking a sweat and now I can barely get it above 3 ghz without issues.

:./

Ok well, Update.

I put it back to 1:1

I also put the strap to 333 mhz

disabled PCI-E spread spectrum

Posts at 420 fsb, 3.36

Won't post at 421.

Any suggestions for getting it higher now?

My temps are still good.

Increase the cpu pll also. I had to run mine at 1.8 to get a real good fsb. But lowered to 1.5 for daily use.

that got it stable in windows at 8x420

temps are in the mid 40's load.

Still won't post past 420.

Also, My ram is rated at 1.8v, I'm at 2v now, is any higher safe?

anything you guys can do to help me get it back to 4ghz would be appreciated, it ran so well (and stable too) then.

Do you have a fan over the ram?
If not, try to put one, or 2 depending on the size of the fan, and increase the volts. 2.2 should be safe with active cooling.

So everything is the same apart from the motherboard?

Is the BIOS older than your first one you had? Check that first.

There isn't of course the idea that they may have sent you a bin board. It was posting fine after a repair or something so they just sent you that one.

I'm not concerned with breaking records, but it broke 4 ghz without breaking a sweat and now I can barely get it above 3 ghz without issues.

:./

2 things...

You did it before...

Does not = you can still do it...CPUs get burnt...

Also.. .differnet mobo does not = same chipset there are steppings to them and you got screwed apparently. a1 a2 a3 etc ops thats video... c1 c2 is p965...

I'll try upping the VDIMM some more tonight.

I do have a fan blowing on the memory

I don't think a difference inchipset will drop my stable mhz range by almost 600 mhz, I still had headroom on the old board.

I have a feeling it's something stupid that I'm missing

I'll feel really dumb when I figure out what it is.

Back