• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Halo 3 Multiplayer Not going in WS...?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trueplaya4ever8

Ya i just picked up a 32in lcd, and halo 3 with friends makes the screen go in 4:3... Anyone kno how to force it into widescreen. I had this problem when playing on the 22" as well.

Thanks

They designed it that way.

People all over the web are claiming that's a good thing because you would "have" to split a widescreen so each half would be 16:4.5 ... this is stupid because it could be split (and rendered, IMO) at 8:9 instead.

They designed it that way.

People all over the web are claiming that's a good thing because you would "have" to split a widescreen so each half would be 16:4.5 ... this is stupid because it could be split (and rendered, IMO) at 8:9 instead.

Wow thats so gay... Thats dumb now i have to see ****ing sidebars forever... :bang head

Yeah, I stretched it on my 37" TV and it looks fine to me.

But you're just warping the video. You're not gaining any more pixels or game screen real-estate. You're just stretching the horizontal even more.

I never understood people's freaking out with the 'black bars' in games, or movies, or dvd's or anything.

You can't expect everything to have the exact same aspect ratio to fit perfectly on the TV you happen to own at the time. :/ That's just crazy.

There is a reason the aspect is changed for multiplayer on widescreen tv's, but hey if it makes you feel better your not alone in wanting them. ;)

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/09/25/halo-3-split-screen-wastes-16-9-hdtv-edges/

On the High-Def forums on the same subject....

Originally Posted by oleviarules said:
You will notice, though, that each of those screen splits is approximately 16:9 ratio. had they done it so that the entire screen, you would get some crazy ratio (16 : 4.5) that isn't "natural."

Originally Posted by 360kid said:
This post is exactly right. No need to get your panties all in a bunch. Halo adds the black bars in split screen to preserve the aspect ratio. If it didn't, the picture would look stretched beyond belief. Bungie did it right, no need for the "awww Halo sucks."

- Blackstar

Last edited:
Again, I will point to the fact that you don't *have* to have a 16:4.5 ratio ... when you have more room when it's split vertically you should split it so it's 8:9.

They don't even consider the fact that if it's bumped down to 4:3 then your resulting split ratio would be 4:1.5. That's not crazy? It's not like either of them "stretch".

Without having played the game yet mind you, I think the real problem is that Bungie got lazy or strapped with time and couldn't get the performance they wanted. Why else would they make the game only 640p native and force a standard aspect ratio when they needed even more graphics like in split screen?

I think what they did makes sense. I see black bars all the time now when I watch tv because of all of the widescreen shows now. It's not a big deal to me. If you can't see then just sit closer to the tv.

Yeah but the Xbox 360 wasn't really designed for standard TV users in mind ... with when games are advertised as 720p, they probably should be.

It's much nicer to play a game where you have a larger field of vision that is more realistic to the way you actually see ... I see things to the sides further than I see them up and down.

But those boxes clearly have a widescreen. Any larger and it would be distorted thats what Bungie thinks. Just play splitscreen 4 way on a 4:3 tv. I guarantee that you don't get that much room.

Without having played the game yet mind you, I think the real problem is that Bungie got lazy or strapped with time and couldn't get the performance they wanted. Why else would they make the game only 640p native and force a standard aspect ratio when they needed even more graphics like in split screen?

They explained the 640p choice was one for the real time lighting effects and smooth performance. The reason was purely a technical one. And from what I have learned about them over the years, Bungie does not know the of meaning of the term 'lazy'. Unless you're talking about Frankie's eye. :p

Here is the weekly update with the explanation:

You Owe me 80p!

One item making the interwebs rounds this week was the scandalous revelation that Halo 3 runs at “640p” which isn’t even technically a resolution. However, the interweb detectives did notice that Halo 3’s vertical resolution, when captured from a frame buffer, is indeed 640 pixels. So what gives? Did we short change you 80 pixels?

Naturally it’s more complicated than that. In fact, you could argue we gave you 1280 pixels of vertical resolution, since Halo 3 uses not one, but two frame buffers – both of which render at 1152x640 pixels. The reason we chose this slightly unorthodox resolution and this very complex use of two buffers is simple enough to see – lighting. We wanted to preserve as much dynamic range as possible – so we use one for the high dynamic range and one for the low dynamic range values. Both are combined to create the finished on screen image.

This ability to display a full range of HDR, combined with our advanced lighting, material and postprocessing engine, gives our scenes, large and small, a compelling, convincing and ultimately “real” feeling, and at a steady and smooth frame rate, which in the end was far more important to us than the ability to display a few extra pixels. Making this decision simpler still is the fact that the 360 scales the
“almost-720p” image effortlessly all the way up to 1080p if you so desire.

In fact, if you do a comparison shot between the native 1152x640 image and the scaled 1280x720, it’s practically impossible to discern the difference. We would ignore it entirely were it not for the internet’s propensity for drama where none exists. In fact the reason we haven’t mentioned this before in weekly updates, is the simple fact that it would have distracted conversation away from more important aspects of the game, and given tinfoil hats some new gristle to chew on as they catalogued their toenail clippings.

http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?type=topnews&cid=12821

- Blackstar

Back