• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OC guru's this way :)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

night8jim

Hi guys got my new system, bare in mind i have never really had a Intel system or nividia. always had AMD and ATI lol, so i apologise for being nooby :)

Any way i have finally maxed out my GFX at 658 / 1100 and now now think its time to start on my CPU

I have managed to get it to 2.7, but dont really know what i am doing with this bios, could any one help me out plz?

I am running the P35C-DS3R mobo, and there are some very unusual settings in thhe bios, here they are;

Robust Graphics booster: AUto
C.I.A.2 = disabled
Performance enharnced? think is memory timings?~: normal
High speed dram DLL settings: option 1

Voltages;
System Voltage:
DDR2 voltage:
PCI-E voltage:
FSB voltage:
G(MCH) voltage:
CPU voltage:

i dont have a clue which ones i need to be changing etc, could u try and give me a little run down on which ones are important.

then i will start overcloking her :p

Thanks guys

started any way :p

erm 3.2 now, managed to run all benchmarks fine, looking gd,

just booted at 3.3Ghz now, for some reason no software will pick it up as this apart from 3Dmark06, says it using a 6x multiplyer which is rubbish its not, anyways will bench now :)

You need to disable EIST/Speedstep to avoid it lowering the multiplier to 6x. That is just a power saving feature and will happen when you are idle. I leave it enabled, it doesn't hurt a thing.

You'll need to up your CPU Voltage if you want to get higher clocks.

I have close to the same thing you do, just the DS3L. I'm 3.6Ghz 24/7 with no issues.

Take a look at this guide, it explains all the bios settings for you and gives you an idea on how to work your clocks up safely. Make sure you set the PCI-E frequency to 100mhz so it'll stay independent from the FSB.

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=515316

What are you using to cool the CPU btw?

I have close to the same thing you do, just the DS3L. I'm 3.6Ghz 24/7 with no issues.

Take a look at this guide, it explains all the bios settings for you and gives you an idea on how to work your clocks up safely. Make sure you set the PCI-E frequency to 100mhz so it'll stay independent from the FSB.

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=515316

What are you using to cool the CPU btw?

Ok right it crashed out @ 3.333 lol, voltage was about 2.9 or something, how high can i go on this safe? also fsb voltage was +1v and same with memory and the G(MCH) voltage was set to +1v. memory was running at 950mhz or near to that,

i then lowered memory to run at 880 and till got the blue screen of death while benchmarking.

where abouts is this power setting i cant seem to find it lol, i have a Asaka Blue Evo heatsink and fan, which is keeping it around 34c idle and no more than 40 load. system temp as around 50c tho, so i strapped a big fan accross my northbridge, this has helped a little.

What next then, realistically am i going ot get more than 3.2 stable?

Voltage was 2.9? That doesn't make any sense at all. Your temps also seem low. What are you using to measure your temps? Get CoreTemp.

FSB +0.3v
Memory +0.2v (you have the "C" version of this MoBo, and the default RAM voltage for it is 2.0v, so +0.2v will put it at the right voltage to match your RAM specs)
G(MCH) +0.3v
Set your RAM to run 1:1 (2.0 in Gigabyte BIOS) at rated timings (4-4-4-12)
Set your vCore to 1.5v, and your FSB to 400, and your multi to 9x (3.6GHz)

Test for stability, and watch your temps. If they go into the 80's you probably need better cooling (U-120-E), but you can continue if you don't mind the heat.

If you are stable then start lowering vCore until you lose stability, and then go back up a notch. Then try lowering your FSB, and MCH voltages using the same methodology. Finally lower your RAM voltage to +0.1, +0.15, or whatever maintains stability. Leave it at +0.2v if you have to.

Voltage was 2.9? That doesn't make any sense at all. Your temps also seem low. What are you using to measure your temps? Get CoreTemp.

FSB +0.3v
Memory +0.2v (you have the "C" version of this MoBo, and the default RAM voltage for it is 2.0v, so +0.2v will put it at the right voltage to match your RAM specs)
G(MCH) +0.3v

Test for stability, and watch your temps. If they go into the 80's you probably need better cooling (U-120-E), but you can continue if you don't mind the heat.

If you are stable then start lowering vCore until you lose stability, and then go back up a notch. Then try lowering your FSB, and MCH voltages using the same methodology. Finally lower your RAM voltage to +0.1, +0.15, or whatever maintains stability. Leave it at +0.2v if you have to.

Thx alot thats really helpfull, i will give ago now, and repost, thx again :)

It worked at 3.6Ghz, not sure how stable tho lol, only got 13569 on 3Dmark 06, which dont seem too gd to me, got only 200 less with a 3.2. :s

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm06=3421627

Temps seem to be at 55.c idle and highest was 70.c, stays between 63.c and 67.c load tho after the benchmark.

Last edited:

FSB +0.3v
G(MCH) +0.3v

Egads Jason.....wouldnt 80C be way too hot for a Q6600? It aint a Xeon :)

Let me preface everything by saying Im a n00b, and new to OCing (bout 2 months tenure....) but I dont let my Q6600 go over 70C at max temps during burn in, and 80C for max temps during burn in for my X3220.

Also, I think that if you are hitting 70C on a non burn-in/stability program you need to get better cooling. I think that would be borderline ok IMHO for a rigorous stability program such as Prime95 or OCCT or Wprime, but not for 3DMark or other 'benching' programs.

My 2 cents worth FWIW.....

Let me preface everything by saying Im a n00b, and new to OCing (bout 2 months tenure....) but I dont let my Q6600 go over 70C at max temps during burn in, and 80C for max temps during burn in for my X3220.

Also, I think that if you are hitting 70C on a non burn-in/stability program you need to get better cooling. I think that would be borderline ok IMHO for a rigorous stability program such as Prime95 or OCCT or Wprime, but not for 3DMark or other 'benching' programs.

OK cool, what about mmy 3Dmark score that seems rubbish to me lol, is that because my memory running stock speeds? shall i change the divider?

Those 3DMark scores are good. @3.6Ghz I get 12,7XX, so your scores are within range for your setup. You can crank your memory or your memory timings if you wish, but it's not going to increase your score that much.

I used to think that Intel's thermal spec was the limit for the top end you wanted to run your chip, but several heated threads lead to a new line of thinking. It is kind of summed up in this sticky.

Basically you can run these CPU's up to 100*C. They are designed to throttle if they get too hot. You don't want throttling, though, and running at 95* 24/7 may not be the best thing unless you need a space heater. Running at 80* is a 20* cushion. This all seems very logical to me, and I think these temps are safe, but I still like mine to be a bit lower. I was at 71* under full P95 load, but I've managed to get my temps down a bit using a washer for more pressure, and some MX-2. Slightly lower ambients has helped as well.

@night8jim - Download the latest P95 that supports quads, and run small ffts. That will give you true load temps, and let you know if you're stable. If you can make it through the night w/o any cores failing you should be good. I still think you'll be fine running in the low 80's, but if you want to err on the safe side try to keep your temps in the low 70's. You may have to reduce your speed a little to get there, though. A better cooling solution will let you stay at 3.6 w/ more acceptable temps.

Once you get everything stable, and get your voltages as low as they'll go while retaining stability then you can start messing w/ the RAM. I suggest just tightening your timings as much as possible, but some like to see how fast they can get their RAM at looser timings. I like to experiment and see what benches better, and then go that route. If you haven't guessed already I ended up w/ 1:1 ratio and 4-4-4-8 timings.

I used to think that Intel's thermal spec was the limit for the top end you wanted to run your chip, but several heated threads lead to a new line of thinking. It is kind of summed up in this sticky.

Basically you can run these CPU's up to 100*C. They are designed to throttle if they get too hot. You don't want throttling, though, and running at 95* 24/7 may not be the best thing unless you need a space heater. Running at 80* is a 20* cushion. This all seems very logical to me, and I think these temps are safe, but I still like mine to be a bit lower. I was at 71* under full P95 load, but I've managed to get my temps down a bit using a washer for more pressure, and some MX-2. Slightly lower ambients has helped as well.

@night8jim - Download the latest P95 that supports quads, and run small ffts. That will give you true load temps, and let you know if you're stable. If you can make it through the night w/o any cores failing you should be good. I still think you'll be fine running in the low 80's, but if you want to err on the safe side try to keep your temps in the low 70's. You may have to reduce your speed a little to get there, though. A better cooling solution will let you stay at 3.6 w/ more acceptable temps.

Once you get everything stable, and get your voltages as low as they'll go while retaining stability then you can start messing w/ the RAM. I suggest just tightening your timings as much as possible, but some like to see how fast they can get their RAM at looser timings. I like to experiment and see what benches better, and then go that route. If you haven't guessed already I ended up w/ 1:1 ratio and 4-4-4-8 timings.

thx alot, its been running p95 for a while now will leave over night, max temp has been 75.c average around 73.c, also my fan is playing up on my heatsink, keeps going fast and then slow, need to put the controller on i think. Will have a mess about after the test. :)

Is your fan plugged into the MoBo? Try plugging it directly to a molex.

If you want to keep it hooked up to the MoBo there should be some kind of option in the BIOS to keep the fan at full speed. On Asus boards you disable Q-fan control...not sure about Gigabyte.

Best thing to do is get a fan controller. Your post leads me to believe your fan came w/ some kind of controller that your not using. Use it, or just plug directly into a molex.

I have a fan controller, but I run all my fans at 100% anyway. My PC is still quieter than my old PC w/ all of its fans on low!

Your temps aren't bad at all considering your cooler. Kudos! :thup:

Is your fan plugged into the MoBo? Try plugging it directly to a molex.

If you want to keep it hooked up to the MoBo there should be some kind of option in the BIOS to keep the fan at full speed. On Asus boards you disable Q-fan control...not sure about Gigabyte.

Best thing to do is get a fan controller. Your post leads me to believe your fan came w/ some kind of controller that your not using. Use it, or just plug directly into a molex.

I have a fan controller, but I run all my fans at 100% anyway. My PC is still quieter than my old PC w/ all of its fans on low!

Your temps aren't bad at all considering your cooler. Kudos! :thup:

yeah came with a controller which i never put in, i have been running super PI and everest none stop wit P95 and max temp is still only 76 or so, and i still using the PC for photoshop etc..

So looking gd, u think there more in this CPU on air?

I'm sure you can get it higher, but I think you'll probably fine that it will require obscene voltages and will get very hot. Stability will be hard to find above 3.8GHz.

For 24/7 stability most get to 3.6GHz on air (mostly U-120-E's), and 3.8GHz on good H2O (not some cheap kit) setups.

Thx jason, well it made it through the night with no problems, never went into the 80s at all. just need to fine tune it now :)

hmm tied to change memory etc and lowered Vcore, now it wont boot :s.

OK, it finally booted, however, it reset my BIOS meaning that i lost settings, now for some reason my RAID array will not work, i have turned it all back on, says that some hll.dll file is corrupt :s i have tried to use vista repair function but has made no diffeance, any one got any ideas?

Back