• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

LEGAL or ILLEGAL??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

!!tio!!

Well, is it illegal to install OEM for a PC assembled by myself if I am not a company

If I am the biggest shareholder but the company pays for a new PC, will using Win XP HOme edition be legal (OEM)? What about WinME?

u pay for it u use it on any ONE computer any where or way u want

!!tio!! said:
umm... be precise...
u r on 250 posts rite now.... (at this time)
so u r just being impatient and try to ans sth.....:eh?:

Posts don't have a thing to do with what a person knows...
If a programer comes here he starts out at 0 posts like everyone else.. Turd is right.

Technically it would only be legal if you removed the OS from the computer that it came on. The license only allows it to be installed on one computer at a time.

There may be other legal issues if you are talking about installing a copy of XP Home that you personally own on a computer that is owned by a company.

Last edited:
ok to be more precise, regardless of the designaton of the issue, ie:OEM, CORP, Educational, use is per liscense. So unless u have purchased a multi-liscense packet your purchase authorizes you the use of that product on one computer only. Now the gray area on the build info would be something like you purchased an educationally discounted issue and went out and directly used it at your business, which is of course not educational. But again you could buy a computer second hand for your business and the previous owner transfers the educational purchas OS rights over with the computer and you are clearly right to use it as u want. I think that the best thing to do would be to contact MS if u are concerned, but basically they are mostly concerned that only ONE liscensed copy is installed on only ONE computer at any time.

I have the corp edition on a home PC? Is that legal or not, this is so confusing!

I think that I'll stick with the 1PC 1copy theory, and a copy of XP bought for certain purposes must be used for that purpose first.

Smizack said:

Posts don't have a thing to do with what a person knows...
If a programer comes here he starts out at 0 posts like everyone else.. Turd is right.

I mean he maybe in a rush at posting so he just rush through + ans something that seems to impress ppl

remmeber u get 1 more star if u get 251 posts

!!tio!! said:

I mean he maybe in a rush at posting so he just rush through + ans something that seems to impress ppl

remmeber u get 1 more star if u get 251 posts
Ahh ok, Kewl.
But, just remember that usually if someone here dosen't know what you're looking for they will tell you that.

Last edited:
naw, im not out to impress u, could care less actually. just trying to help and learn, was on my way out the door and just fired off the simple answer to what i thought was a simple question, didnt even know about the one more star thing, had more stars before under name tester, but i dont keep track, i guess i will when i get enough, usually i try to stay away from meaningless afirmation or comments of that nature, i just like this forum and what goes on here, it peps up my usual news reading, tech surfing

Last edited:
turd said:
naw, im not out to impress u, could care less actually. just trying to help and learn, was on my way out the door and just fired off the simple answer to what i thought was a simple question, didnt even know about the one more star thing, had more stars before under name tester, but i dont keep track, i guess i will when i get enough, usually i try to stay away from meaningless afirmation or comments of that nature, i just like this forum and what goes on here, it peps up my usual news reading, tech surfing

You couldn't have stated it better. It has nothing to do with the stars. I'll admit, they are a differant and cool thing to have and I wouldn't get rid of them, but that's on thing that people are going to have to get through thier heads. That just because some one with no stars and 5 posts answers your question dosen't mean that you don't know what you're talking about. I love this forum and have yet to be "looked down upon" by anyone.
I go to other forums from time to time but the thing I hate most is being called a "nOOb" *cough [H]ardoc... *cough when you ask a question. As if you should have been born knowing what the answer was and that you should feel stupid for asking such a "simple" question. I am greatfull for everyone here and I take any advise I get as being helpfull because as we all know, I don't know everything...:p

Man, I think it's time for Dos cervesa!:beer:
Sory about the rant, but I feel better now.

Last edited:
Back