• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Vista "orange box"

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jstutman

Running Vista Ultimate, installed orange box

All originally installed games work, HL2, EP1, Etc

All "orange box" titles will crash and say

"HL2.exe has stop responding

Anyone who runs Vista experience this problem?

Whoa thats an odd problem, I had no problems running it under Vista. Latest drivers etc installed?

I answered my own question, google owns me, requires forced -dxlevel 81 until a patch can be created.

I did have some stability issues when i first installed and ran it. Sometimes it would just freeze, giving me that hl2.exe has stopped responding, othertimes it would just constantly "alt-tab" back and forth from my desktop to ingame, and sometimes it just plain worked. I installed the latest catalyst drivers and i'm not sure if the problems went away, but it seems much better now.

I'm running Vista Business.

I had the problem at first. Try not clicking ANYTHING. Just start the program and don't touch a thing. Mine would crash if I clicked. Then I didn't touch anything and it loaded ok after the first load and now I can click stuff as it's loading.

Wierd... I've been playing orange box since last weekend, and I've yet to have an issue. I'm on Vista Home Premium 32, and I've finished all the "base" maps in Portal, finished EP1 and have started on EP2.

Wonder if it's some hardware-specific thing? I'm on a overclocked 7800GS+, s478 Prescott 3.0 at 4.2Ghz, 2Gb of ram and using Envy24 5.1 audio. No issues here at all...

I did have a small issue with HL2 actually, I had to run it in Windows XP Sp2 compatibility mode. Maybe try that ?

I had the problem at first. Try not clicking ANYTHING. Just start the program and don't touch a thing. Mine would crash if I clicked. Then I didn't touch anything and it loaded ok after the first load and now I can click stuff as it's loading.

I have the same issue. As long as I let the game load first, it runs smooth but once I click anything b4 the game is fully loaded, HL2 crashes.

Don't have an issue here, running Vista 64-bit.

Edit: Oh wait. NM I did have that issue. I installed it, tried it the next morning it didn't work, went to work. Came home and tried it again and it worked. So sorry I can't help you but I had that same crashing issue.

Now you guys are making me seriously wonder ;) I'm gonna go home tonight and jack around with the mouse while EP2 is loading to see if I can make it break on my rig... I don't doubt that you guys have the issues, it's just that I've yet to have ANY problems with Orange Box on my Vista rig.

I've had some problems with other games though, notably Stalker before some of the Vista compatibility / performance fixes came out.

It's looking like this is a pretty common problem, sadly. Some solutions I have read here and other places...

1. Make sure all your drivers are up to date with the latest releases (gfx card, audio, MB etc...)
2. Try running the game in Window Mode
3. Try running it in XP compatibility mode
4. Use the "Don't click till loaded" method

Might be that Valve actually needs to release a patch for this :\

If you search steam forums. Its seems ~10% of Vista users have this issue. It is related to directX 9 in 64bit vista. As you said the only solution is to use DirectX 8.1. You loose HDR and stuff but textures still are good. Valve will release a fix eventually.

If you search steam forums. Its seems ~10% of Vista users have this issue. It is related to directX 9 in 64bit vista. As you said the only solution is to use DirectX 8.1. You loose HDR and stuff but textures still are good. Valve will release a fix eventually.
Are you sure? I run Vista 64 and have 0 problems with Source. In fact, it runs better on Vista than on XP.

Its not fully related to Vista-64.... Since I ran it well the first few min I was having issues. I shut it down went to work fired it back up right away when I got home. Then it ran, no compatiblity mode, it didn't work for me when I was having the issue.

I could of think it was drivers but I can't say that either. No MS updates at all either. Only thing that could of changed between launch of Portal on my boot up from returning home from work would of been a forced update from steam before it was launched.

Back