• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Checkerboard effect on video card

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tomchong

Ive got a 6800 Ultra video card that i have all but given up on. It has a permanent checkerboard effect, tested on two working computers, and i don't know what to do with it. Here is some pictures of the problem:

HPIM1384.jpg

HPIM1385.jpg

HPIM1386.jpg

I was wondering if anyone had any tips on correcting this. I have examined the card for physical damage, and could not find any. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Try underclocking the memory and gpu by 25-50mhz, making sure the fan is spinning (probably already did that but just to be sure), and/or reseating the heatsink with new thermal stuff.

It looks like you probably have either a chipped core or vram damage from the checkerboard (especially if it follows the mouse or happens during inital bootup/bios), although it might be overheating as I replaced the heatsink on a 9800 that was showing that same behavior while booting XP (fan died and it was one of those paper-thin aluminum deals) and it started working fine again.

Does it start doing this while loading XP or does it start at boot/bios screen?

Well i re-seated the heatsink, re applied thermal goop. While i was using the card, one the the voltage regulators fried in spectacular fashion. It is now 100% dead. At least im not going to waste any more time on it! Too bad, its getting hard to find decent AGP cards.

Back