• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i'm new

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mikegis

hello
i'm new here and like some info if you can please
i have asus p5n-e sli m/b with intel e6320 = 1.86 and
stock h/s fan on it. i can push this at 3.33 and it still
will go more ? the thing i'm not sure about is just how much
can you push the chip before it's not safe anymore and also
my temps go's about 123f to 130f under load . how hot is to hot?
i have seen others post that there getting 3.6 from this chip but
thats almost a 100% overclock . is that save?

thanks mikegis

Capture.JPG

Not sure what the max safe temps are on those chips. I'm guessing around 70C (160f) like the quads, but I'm not sure. You're pushing 50c. If you plan to OC and keep it OC'd I would get better cooling. You can probably go up to 70c and be ok, but I like to keep mine under 70. It's safe to go to 3.6Ghz as long as you have good cooling. Get a Scythe or Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme and you should be able to push 3.6 24/7.

Bench test it for stability before you go any higher. Your voltage seems too high for that OC. Lower the voltage until it fails the bench testing, then move it up a bit, and you've found your correct voltage for that speed. It would also help if you posted what RAM you have so we can help you OC further.

Hey Mike, :welcome: to OcF ! :)

What did you use for stability test at your OC ? Orthos or Prime95 ?

You should use for Coretemp when reading your CPU temperature, once you've downloaded it, click my sig on "Using the Coretemp the "RIGHT" way" for hint how to use it. ;)

for the stability test i think it was called utune from nvideo and had it running for 1 hour.
also had Windows Media Center open viewing tv, and my email open . the only time it crashed was when i tryed to o/c the video card aswell?
thanks mike

CPU: e6320 (1.86)
MOBO: Asus P5n-e sli, bios 0608
RAM: pny 2x1gb 667 slots 1/3 o/c 800 5.0-5-5-15 1.8v
g skill 2x1gb 800 slots 2/4 5.0-5-5-15 1.8v
GPU: leadtek winfast (px8400gs tdh)
Cooling: stock h/s fan

i tryed Orthos and had a little trouble at first . so went down to 3.26 (1866) and had to
put the vcore to 1.46. after that Orthos run for 1hour and 12 mins. then the system locked up on me had to reboot it? also it seems if i change the speed (1866) to like 1890
or even less Orthos finds a error about 1 min. after starting it but if i keep it at something 66 it works fine? i tryed it at 1566 and then tryed other settings but if i go off
the something 66 it gives a error? the temps were 125f cpu and 104 m/b .also when i run the ntune from nvideo i get 2 to 3 hours no errors or lock ups ?so is Orthos or ntune
the best tester?
thanks
mike
CPU: intel e6320 (1.86)
RAM: g skill 2x1gb 800 slots 2/4 5.0-5-5-15 1.8v

Compared to your ntune ? Pick Orthos ! ;)

Usually people around here run Orthos for "few hours" to see if their OC is good enough !

ok thanks.
so what do you think i can do to get a little more out of this chip?
i was told better cooling for a start but is there anything else i can do
or is 3.26 to 3.36 all i'm going to get?
thanks
mike

CPU: intel e6320 (1.86)
RAM: g skill 2x1gb 800 slots 2/4 5.0-5-5-15 1.8v

Back