Can a dead CMOS battery cause no post??

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 10-19-07, 09:13 AM Thread Starter   #1
chawks2
Premium Member #1

Can a dead CMOS battery cause no post??

Quote:
Originally Posted by a useless website
You might also need to replace your CMOS Battery as well. Make sure it is seated well on the motherboard. If you CMOS battery is not installed correctly or it needs to be replaced the system will not boot at all. No fans, no power (sometimes you see limited power such as a dimmed hdd light.)
I have an old 865PERL I am attempting to resurrect. Upon attempting to power it on I get no fan spinnage, ONLY the standby light on the mobo is active. I know the PSU is good (400w generic).

I have taken out the CPU, RAM, & Video card, but no power/post. Is it really possible the CMOS battery is causing a no post??

"The only solid piece of scientific truth about which I feel totally confident is that we are profoundly ignorant about nature...It is this sudden confrontation with the depth and scope of ignorance that represents the most significant contribution of 20th century science to the human intellect."
-Lewis Thomas, The Medusa and the Snail

"The best definition we have found for civilization is that civilized man does what is best for all, the savage does what is best for himself."
-Edwin Hubble

H.E.A.T
MarioKart FID-0774-5798-8330
chawks2 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Overclockers Approved
Which motherboard should you buy? Get the final word here. Check out the latest Overclockers reviews:
ASRock Z77 OC Formula Motherboard Review

ASRock teamed up with overclocker Nick Shih to make a high-end overclocking-based, yet functional for all users, motherboard named the Z77 OC Formula. It appears they have achieved it. Read More.

Get it at NewEgg for $239.99
ASUS Maximus V Formula Motherboard

The Maximus V Formula is part of the ROG (Republic of Gamers) series of motherboards, which in itself brings a high level of expectation. It's a no brainer, Overclockers Approved! Read more.

Get it at NewEgg for $279.99
Old 10-19-07, 09:45 AM   #2
SuperDave1685

10 Year Badge

I've had this happen to me once before. CMOS batteries usually last a long time, but turns out I had a dud one a couple years ago and once I replaced it, everything was hunky dory

*Main Rig-*i7 920 D0 @ 4.2Ghz (1.17v), ASUS Rampage II Extreme, 12 GB Patriot DDR3 1600, ATI HD5970 @ 775/1100, SB X-Fi Xtreme Gamer, OCZ Revo X2 Drive SSD, 500GB, 1TB SATA, PCP&C Silencer 750W , D5 pump, Thermochill PA 120.3 w/ 3 Yate Loon Mediums, Swiftech Apogee XT, Lian-Li PC-G75, ASUS VW226H 25.5", Logitech Z-5300e THX 5.1 Speakers

My Massive PC Cleaning Thread!

Heatware |
If the Army and the Navy Ever look on Heaven's scenes, They will find the streets are guarded By United States Marines. OoRah!
SuperDave1685 is offline Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 10-19-07, 09:55 AM   #3
Neuromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDave1685 View Post
I've had this happen to me once before. CMOS batteries usually last a long time, but turns out I had a dud one a couple years ago and once I replaced it, everything was hunky dory
same here
Neuromancer is offline Benching Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 10-19-07, 10:10 AM   #4
w2richwood

never happen to me but ive heard of other people having this problem
Rich

video ati 4890 1gig
ps corsair 750tx
cooler venomous x push pull
hd.s 2xwd raptors in raido
case cm. storm sniper

My Heatware
w2richwood is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 10-19-07, 10:17 AM Thread Starter   #5
chawks2
Premium Member #1

Thanks guys. Will give it a shot tonight.

Always thought the CMOS battery was just for settings and could not cause an actual post problem. Hopefully this solves it.

"The only solid piece of scientific truth about which I feel totally confident is that we are profoundly ignorant about nature...It is this sudden confrontation with the depth and scope of ignorance that represents the most significant contribution of 20th century science to the human intellect."

"The best definition we have found for civilization is that civilized man does what is best for all, the savage does what is best for himself."
-Edwin Hubble

H.E.A.T
Old 10-19-07, 10:21 AM   #6
CGR

10 Year Badge

I upgrade too frequently to run the battery dead. Never had a dud either.

HIS 4850 680/1108.................................................. .............Nvidia 7600GT
WD VRaptor 300gb/Seagate 1TB..........................................Raptor 74gb/Seagate 200gb
OCZ GameXtreme 600SLI

CGR is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 10-27-07, 11:42 PM Thread Starter   #7
chawks2
Premium Member #1

The new battery didnt work. This board 'es croaked.

-Edwin Hubble

H.E.A.T
Old 11-07-07, 04:10 PM   #8
RJARRRPCGP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDave1685 View Post
Yep. One of the symptoms may be a BSOD out of the blue!

With my Soyo SY-K7VTA-B motherboard, the BIOS acted like the floppy disk drive cable wasn't connected then after part of Windows started loading, I gotten ***STOP:0x0000007B INACCESSABLE_BOOT_DEVICE

Then I decided to change the CMOS battery, because that motherboard is at least 6 years old!

And since I changed the CMOS battery, I have yet to see those symptoms again.

-ICH10R
- eVGA GeForce 9500 GT-Fortron FSP500-60GLN(80) 500W PSU

" holy cow!! you find a rat in there too!?!?!? " -turbohans
"Reinstall winders." -jivetrky
"I think I am going to need another coke before I start this up." -cadman420
"Soon Windows will be 50 gb! lololol" -Tokae
"NOT FOR SALE IN CALIFORNIA."

Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 11-07-07 at 04:16 PM.
RJARRRPCGP is offline   QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Motherboards > Intel Motherboards
Intel Motherboards