• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

checking for open ports

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

e_storm

First my OS is WinMe,
ok, I'm looking for something that will tell me what ports I have open at any given time... I've heard that typing >netstat -a -n
at the command prompt will tell me the open ports, but does anyone know of a program i could use that has more details (ie. why its open and what program opened it)?

I know you can have grc.com or some other sites run a check on your open ports, but are there any programs I could use? thanks in advance. :)

I did the google search as well, but was looking for opinions on good programs that are easy to use and understand...

The last thing I want is some sort of spyware program or imbedded trojan in one of these no-name programs that checks for my open ports and sends the information to someone on the internet, or even worse opens ports itself... Perhaps I'm a bit paranoid, but there's all kinds of stuff out there.

sure

well i wouldn't say that you are paranoid, rather realistic. (now you've got me paranoid since i actually ran that program) if you really want to scan ports, run unix.

there is a really good website that does it for you. it really popular and famous, and his website checks your computer for open ports, etc. i cant rember the name however, try google that your best bet. and most port scanners utility's are websites, so if you get one askign to download, that proably isnt it.

NYC37 said:
there is a really good website that does it for you. it really popular and famous, and his website checks your computer for open ports, etc. i cant rember the name however, try google that your best bet. and most port scanners utility's are websites, so if you get one askign to download, that proably isnt it.

the website ur talking about is probably grc.com...

I've done google searches already, I'm looking for a program you can run from your computer and has been used by people in the forums to make sure its not shady. I'm looking for programs that people here have used and would recommend.

Have you tried Anti-Trojan 5.5? I know you said you didn't want anything that might plant a horse...It can be configured to go public searching for signature updates, but can also be configured to be standalone. It's shareware that allows 5 runs. That said, it does a nice job of scanning for open ports and listing the "opener". It also allows you to shut the port down manually.

Rick G said:
Have you tried Anti-Trojan 5.5? I know you said you didn't want anything that might plant a horse...It can be configured to go public searching for signature updates, but can also be configured to be standalone. It's shareware that allows 5 runs. That said, it does a nice job of scanning for open ports and listing the "opener". It also allows you to shut the port down manually.

Thank you, that sounds like a good one...I'll give it a try.

Back