• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

73c on Gainward 8800 GTS, is that safe?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

running 648/1458/972 stock cooling and voltage

readings from rivatuner

Seems high .. my card is maxed out (see sig) on stock cooling and voltage, and i never see higher than 64c ...

Seems high .. my card is maxed out (see sig) on stock cooling and voltage, and i never see higher than 64c ...

Did you do any of your own improvement, like taking out the stock thermal paste and use AS5?

Otherwise, you must be a very lucky owner of an 8800 GTS!

I also have an EVGA 8800GTS 640MB, Revision A3. It idles at 63C and loads at 73C, with stock speed and voltage!

I am thinking about removing the stock thermal paste and use AS5 and maybe putting in a bigger fan than the stock one.

Still thinking about it, though.

Temps are fine. You just might not have as good of case airflow as other people do.

Actually, my case is opened!!! :D

I have a Cooler Master Cosmos--see sig. The air flow is so terrible in this case that if I close my case, it will literally be an oven! Sys temp shot to 46 C while the comp is in idle! And CPU ran at 49/59C! So as a last resort, I am now running my comp with the case opened!

I know there is a lot of dust. But I don't have a choice. I am wasting a lot of money on the canned air. I dust my comp about every other day or maybe even every day!

I read a few reports online about people removing the stock thermal paste from their 8800 GTS's and applying AS5 and afterwards, their GPU temps dropped a few C's.

I will start my own thread and ask this question. Thanks for the info!

Or you can vacuum clean your room once a week, that will keep the dust to the minimum. Every time you blow the dust out of your case, it goes back in to your room and then back in to the case.

running 648/1458/972 stock cooling and voltage

readings from rivatuner

That is normal if those are the temps you are seeing doing 3D work. They would be rather high
while idling at the Windows DT. You can bring the temps down some by using RivaTuner lock
the stock cooler fan up at 90-100% speed.

Viper

Actually, my case is opened!!! :D

I have a Cooler Master Cosmos--see sig. The air flow is so terrible in this case that if I close my case, it will literally be an oven! Sys temp shot to 46 C while the comp is in idle! And CPU ran at 49/59C! So as a last resort, I am now running my comp with the case opened!

woz i have the same case and i replaced those stock 'fans' (yeah their quiet but barely move any air at all) with 4 medium speed yate loons and my sys temp dropped ~8C, i dont notice it being any noisier either. i think im going to cut out the fan openings in the top of the case too to remove the restriction on air flow. its covered by the plastic top anyway so it wont make any difference aethetically
cant comment on the cpu temps as i replaced the stock hsf at the same time

cant say my 8800ultra temps changed, but then again they didnt drop when i tried the case wide open with the ac blowing in.. the thing just lives at 60-64idle and peaks ~80-82 load

I cant get the fan to auto adjust, ive locked it at 75% now and I get 64c max, it was stuck at 60% before and didnt move when 3d kicked in or when gpu was hot

Back