• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Raptor for Vista

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dschonauer

Registered
Okay what is the best way to migrate my old boot drive to my new raptor for Vista 64. Want a full copy and delegate my old drive as backup. Western Digital Tools does not work for Vista.

Norton Ghost can transfer partitions to other drives. I can't think of any freeware apps that can migrate partitions over to a different HD off the top of my head.

I have used Acronis True Image (Vista compatible version) to copy disk to disk but it didn't work completely.
The new hard drive wouldn't boot to Vista so I ran the repair utility using a Vista DVD.
It took less than a second for it to repair the faulty file and the PC was up and running in no time.
Vista did require re-activation but it might be because the PC had Vista Home Premium System Builders Edition on it.

Good luck!

Got it. Seagate has a freeware version of Acronis True Image for vista if you have a Seagate drive. So I plugged in an old 40gb seagate and then used their software without a hitch for the new Raptor. You do have to call MS to get the athorization. Once I was done , just pulled the drive.:beer:

Back