• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

All Celeron 1.2 OEM's are not Phillipine chips

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sempei

Found this out the hard way. Just got my OEM Celeron 1.2 from Directron.com and it is a Malay chip. Major bummer. Iwas really looking forward to playin with a Philli chip but now I geuss I'll have to work a little harder with this one.

Sempei said:
Found this out the hard way. Just got my OEM Celeron 1.2 from Directron.com and it is a Malay chip. Major bummer. Iwas really looking forward to playin with a Philli chip but now I geuss I'll have to work a little harder with this one.

Yea, I think I read a post sometime ago that most OEM chips are flip chip and maybe 20% are malay chips.

Sorry it didn't turn out to be a Flip chip.

Re: Re: All Celeron 1.2 OEM's are not Phillipine chips

tsunami said:

Yeah, me too. I guess I'll have to be happy if I can get this to 1500. Of course that doesn't mean I not going to try hard to hit 1600. It will just be a little more interesting.

Re: Re: All Celeron 1.2 OEM's are not Phillipine chips

tsunami said:

Yea, I think I read a post sometime ago that most OEM chips are flip chip and maybe 20% are malay chips.

What does flip-chip have to do with the Phillipine plant? The 1.2 is a flip-chip, or else it wouldn't be a 1.2; it would be a 533.

Or has someone changed terminology on me? :p

I think he's referring to the Phillipine as flip chip. Phil...flip. Just my guess.

My boxed Malay chip pulls 1.5 gig easy....Haven't attempted 1.6 gig yet as my PSU is 'having trouble'....But it pulls 1.5 gig so easily and is so stable that I think it will pull 1.6 gig easy!

BTW....I'm pulling 1.5 gig rock stable @ 1.6 volts and the +5 volt line on my mobo as reported by MBM is only at 3.14 volts! Like I said....My 250 watt A-Open PSU is having a bit of trouble!

Re: Re: Re: All Celeron 1.2 OEM's are not Phillipine chips

Godfodda said:

What does flip-chip have to do with the Phillipine plant? The 1.2 is a flip-chip, or else it wouldn't be a 1.2; it would be a 533.

Or has someone changed terminology on me? :p

I'm an asian so its slang since here there lots of asians. And slang for Phillipines are "Flipz."

Hehe :) No one changed technology on ya :)

Flu!d said:
My boxed Malay chip pulls 1.5 gig easy....Haven't attempted 1.6 gig yet as my PSU is 'having trouble'....But it pulls 1.5 gig so easily and is so stable that I think it will pull 1.6 gig easy!

BTW....I'm pulling 1.5 gig rock stable @ 1.6 volts and the +5 volt line on my mobo as reported by MBM is only at 3.14 volts! Like I said....My 250 watt A-Open PSU is having a bit of trouble!

Yeah dude if you get a new PSU I would just get a 350w or higher anymore.

I would also like to comment on your 5v rail????????

If it was at 3.14v you would not boot;)

Also one other thing I would not be so sure of is that your chip will do 1.6GHz. I have problems simply running my chip higher than 1.7v no matter what. If I run my chip at 1.8v and 1500MHz it will be unstable. If I run it at 1.525GHz and 1.7v it is stable.

I run it at 1.5GHz cause I am going to leave it for my brother and that should leave me enough of a buffer you know!

Too bad you can't hit 133+ FSB so you could tell us the real scoup on that mobo. I am starting to lose faith in it for the celery 100FSB. You need to give out some more info. It seems it may not run 133/66/33 fsb/agp/pci when at 133fsb from 100fsb. I don't like that!

ol' man said:

Yeah dude if you get a new PSU I would just get a 350w or higher anymore.

I would also like to comment on your 5v rail????????

If it was at 3.14v you would not boot;)

Also one other thing I would not be so sure of is that your chip will do 1.6GHz. I have problems simply running my chip higher than 1.7v no matter what. If I run my chip at 1.8v and 1500MHz it will be unstable. If I run it at 1.525GHz and 1.7v it is stable.

I run it at 1.5GHz cause I am going to leave it for my brother and that should leave me enough of a buffer you know!

Too bad you can't hit 133+ FSB so you could tell us the real scoup on that mobo. I am starting to lose faith in it for the celery 100FSB. You need to give out some more info. It seems it may not run 133/66/33 fsb/agp/pci when at 133fsb from 100fsb. I don't like that!

Can I be your brother? :)

Have I missed something? Since when did Malaysia make inferior chips. I know the Phillipines is a fairly new Fab but I never knew it was superior to Malay. Does Costa Rica still make Cellys?

Just checked the cpu database and out of 27 OCs submitted 21 are Malay; however the Phillipine chips seem to require less voltage. There are not enough of them to be conclusive but it's definitely an attention getter. Also the Celey 1.2 is a FC-PGA2 Tulatin (flip chip 2). Intel sure makes you do your homework to keep up with their mess.

Last edited:
Ol'man....You have to get over 1/4 pci dividers....

With the Gigabyte board 1/4 pci dividers don't mean much as you just select the PLL pci / agp clock speed and the bios will select the best divider to keep the bus speeds as close to spec as possible....I would say the Gigabyte XET will hit 133 mhz FSB with a Tualatin Celery 'easier' than any other Tualatin board out there as you can run the PCI/AGP busses the slightest bit below spec (2-3 mhz) and gain a tiny bit more stability when your chip is really on the edge....

My Tualatin Celery is running on this board no probs and that's with a 3.14 volt (yes....3.14 volts as reported by the bios) +5 volt line....It boots every time....It just dosen't like restarting, due to the low voltage on the +5 volt line....And it's rock stable

The PSU problem is something I will rectify now that I am on holodays from work....

I'm sure this chip will hit 1.6 gig easily....My vcore is still nice and low and my temps have barely risen from standard and that's with the standard Tualatin cooler (and anyone that's been to Australia will tell you it's hot here). And the fact that it's rock stable @ 1.5 gig with a 5 volt line running at 3.14 volts tells you that this is one stable mobo....

In closing, the Tualatin Celery and the GA-60XET is a top combo....'Especially' when you consider full voltage adjustment from the bios (wire wrapping is a little to 'rough' and impratical for my liking and immediatly knocks a board off my list as an overclockers board)

And as JetMech said....There is very little evidence to prove that the Phillipenes chips overclock any better than the Malaysian chips, especially when you consider that the Malaysian chips have always been the 'overclockers chip of choice' in the past....

Flu!d said:
Ol'man....You have to get over 1/4 pci dividers....

With the Gigabyte board 1/4 pci dividers don't mean much as you just select the PLL pci / agp clock speed and the bios will select the best divider to keep the bus speeds as close to spec as possible....I would say the Gigabyte XET will hit 133 mhz FSB with a Tualatin Celery 'easier' than any other Tualatin board out there as you can run the PCI/AGP busses the slightest bit below spec (2-3 mhz) and gain a tiny bit more stability when your chip is really on the edge....

My Tualatin Celery is running on this board no probs and that's with a 3.14 volt (yes....3.14 volts as reported by the bios) +5 volt line....It boots every time....It just dosen't like restarting, due to the low voltage on the +5 volt line....And it's rock stable

The PSU problem is something I will rectify now that I am on holodays from work....

I'm sure this chip will hit 1.6 gig easily....My vcore is still nice and low and my temps have barely risen from standard and that's with the standard Tualatin cooler (and anyone that's been to Australia will tell you it's hot here). And the fact that it's rock stable @ 1.5 gig with a 5 volt line running at 3.14 volts tells you that this is one stable mobo....

In closing, the Tualatin Celery and the GA-60XET is a top combo....'Especially' when you consider full voltage adjustment from the bios (wire wrapping is a little to 'rough' and impratical for my liking and immediatly knocks a board off my list as an overclockers board)

And as JetMech said....There is very little evidence to prove that the Phillipenes chips overclock any better than the Malaysian chips, especially when you consider that the Malaysian chips have always been the 'overclockers chip of choice' in the past....

Haha, so be it. Buy what you want:D

The philli chips require less vcore which equates into higher clocks. I have seen at least 15 philli chips hit 1600MHz on default to maybe 1.6v at most. I have yet to see the malay chips hit 1600MHz on 1.6v let alone default vcore. Like I said buy what you want!:D Yeah the malay chips are inferior. I would guess the Philli plant has been making the .13u chips for quite awhile now so they may have the process down better. How do I know this?

It seems by looking at the 1.13GHz PIII entries which is where all the .13u PIII's were directed till as of late that indeed the Philli plant was making them way back it seems in week 0 of 2001. It seems the Malay plant wasn't making them earlier than week 30. Do the math bud! The philli plant has the most up time with these chips to perfect the process. There is a difference, you just have not seen as many reviews as I have to know which is best. The philli chip is best ATM!

LOL:D

As for the GB board fluid, get a good PSU would ya so we can see what the problem is! Your reasoning at the moment is hypothetical that it will be awesome for the celery. You have not even hit 1600MHz yet! Do you have a different PSU to power your fans and maybe HD's and stuff. Come on man snap to it:) I have taken your word for it and told many people the GB board would be good cause I figured you would have your chip running 1600MHz by now!

ermmm... I have to second ol'man. and I'm a witness about the phili plant T-Celeries require less voltage and seem to overclock higher than the Malay version. Back in the days with the 700E chips and those other mhz chips around that time the malay one was the hype for better overclocking. It doesn't follow the same nowdays. What Ol'man explained about the improved process in manufacturing the Tualeron chips by Phily being better is true. I have seen many others with Phily chips rock n roll@ 1550-1600mhz@ default Vcore. Default voltage meaning less heat output. Less heat output with improved core process = better overclock. This is I believe. I am not trying to be favored to one side or anything. Im saying this based on what I've been seeing.

Also i have to say.... D A N G G G G G G G G G G GG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! yours is running at 3.14V @ +5V rail????? UGGGGGGGGG..... To be honest, this is for the first time in my life, for the record have seen your voltage reading at 5V and still be able to run. As ol'man said, it wouldn't even boot at that condition. 4.50V@ +5V rail generally considered minimal acceptable level as long as it you don't get sudden, split-second massive random fluctuations. Mine averages @ +5V@ 4.70V@ idle & +12V@ 11.20V to maintain maximal stability in my severely OC'ed P3 setup. I strongly feel not comfortable for you continusely using the 250watt PSU on your oc'ed setup. It is dangerous and taking great risk. I had my HDD damage caused by a 250watt PSU simply because it wasn't able to provide all the power needed for my system. Systems with nominal amount of peripherals + a CPU upto 1Ghz is comfortable by using at least a 250watt and up PSU. When you get over 1Ghz(not only the AMDs but the Intel chips as well) and far beyond 1Ghz with plenty of components running, you need at least 350watt+ PSU. After i have taken care of the PSU setup on my oc'ed system, I have never got random automatic rebooting or system shutdown I used to get a while back with lesser PSU plus it was a junky one too.

@Flu!d

DON'T GET A NEW PSU!!

THE READING OF 3.14V ON THE 5V RAIL IS WRONG!!

I switched from my MSI 815EPT Pro board to the Gigabyte and got the same reading!! It seems that they made a mistake when programming the sensors for the bios.
I'm sure that it definetly is 5V on the 5V rail, becuase it was on the MSI board and if I chnage the sensor in MBM 5.1, I get a reading of 5.15V, which sounds good to me.

So don't worry, be happy with your board and Tualatin Celeron!!

Celemine1Gig said:
@Flu!d

DON'T GET A NEW PSU!!

THE READING OF 3.14V ON THE 5V RAIL IS WRONG!!

I switched from my MSI 815EPT Pro board to the Gigabyte and got the same reading!! It seems that they made a mistake when programming the sensors for the bios.
I'm sure that it definetly is 5V on the 5V rail, becuase it was on the MSI board and if I chnage the sensor in MBM 5.1, I get a reading of 5.15V, which sounds good to me.

So don't worry, be happy with your board and Tualatin Celeron!!

Well that is what I am thinking too the sensor is wrong, LOL man! There is no way that computer would run with only 3v going to the system. There are parts on the mobo that require 5v you know as also the HD's!

Well I am for sure not going to recommend the GB board for awhile until I get my own now if he does not get his chip to 133+fsb and tell us the true story. Theoretically it should be a real nice board but theoretically I thouht since about everyone owns a ASUS TUSL2 board they must be great too until I bought one to find it is a dud if the chip cannot do 134fsb or the PCI hits higher than 38MHz or so!

Back