• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

coexisting workgroups and domains

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

overclucker

i have a windows 2000 DC and about 6 PCs.. 4 of them are XP pro and the other 2 are vista ultra and XP Media Center. they are all exchanging files between eachother and are all left as workgroups right now. But anytime i want to access my RAID array on my W2K DC. I need to map the drive to access it and the server cant seem to map to the PCs nor connect.. the only way to map it is to join it to the domain.. then map it and then disjoin to the domain and rejoin to the workgroup... seems alot of work for the DC to talk to the computers on the workgroup.. does windows 2003 support this better? or is there some option that could help?

Are you mapping them by IP or Computer Name? You can connect to file shares from a workgroup to a domain PC. Try doing \\192.168.x.x\sharename. It should prompt you for a user ID.

Back