• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XFX 8800GTS overclocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

neonlazer

Ok, i am currently having fun overclocking my new video card...(dont worry XFX allows modification under warranty :bday:) I have noticed on another forum where there is a list of top 8800GTS overclocks...and the top person has a gpu clock of 710...im at 700 and 42c LOL...tho i havent tried 3dmark06 yet but i plan to..but my main question...all of the overclocks listed there have a memory of 1600mhz+...but mine has 792hmz stock.....are they running the memory over twice the speed as mine?...
ocngtszr1.png

How is all but one twice mine?(at stock)

In addition to that, make sure you don't get any artifacts @ 700MHz... Else you might end up burning your card.

Is a game like Crysis(beta 3) or Call of Duty 4(demo) good enough for testing overclocks?..im wondering if it might be a 3dmark problem...Ok well i just got my answer...played cod4 demo for almost a minute then froze...runnin at 710/900(ran perfectly fine with memory not overclocked) Could psu have anything to do with this? doubt it lol

Last edited:
I doubt it, too.

I know you have an NVIDIA card but download ATITool and use the "Find artifacts" option. I'm not sure how well it works with the current 8000 series, but it should be ok. Go down by about 20-30MHz from your current clocks and run it for about 10-20 minutes, at least. If it finds no artifacts (always good to enable a log to review the temperatures and number of artifacts) then step it up by about 5, maybe 10MHz. If it does, I'd recommend going back to stock speeds and making little steps from there so you don't end up ruining your card.

As you can see from the list of overclocks, going over 700MHz is quite high. (I'm not sure if that is exactly true, I'm basing my opinion on the table, since I don't own any 8800GTSs).

Also, you're saying that you're getting 42C. Is that under heavy load? Idle temps usually don't matter much, what matters is the heavy load. Again, use something like ATITool to keep track of your temperatures. You can either do an artifact scan and wait about 10 minutes and see what temperature your card is running at or you can game with ATITool's log feature enabled. 8800GTSs don't run very hot from what I've heard of, but even a slight temperature change can make your card unstable.

Don't push your card too much right away. Go with little steps and you won't have any problems. (Going down from high, unstable clocks to find the absolute maximum is much worse!).

Just some tips :)

Yes, it has never gone over 45c even when running 3dmark06...watercooling owns the gpu heat :D But ill try atitool right now

Ok just a update...i did the find max core on atitool..it went up to 689 and had a artifact and now just stopped it running at 680 for 15 minutes. now to try memory :D oh and gpu rarely got over 44c...thats h0t!...(not literally) :bday:

Last edited:
Back