• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

In over my head????

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

samurai7

Registered
oh man, i originally joined the forums here to just ask a question about my CPU temps but now i fond myself reading up on overclocking FAQs and planning my own devious projects, but yet as i was reading an overclocking guide, i suddenly felt overwhelmed by the amount of things i needed to know. did you guys feel the same way when you first started out OCing you rigs?

I too was bitten by the overclocking bug early and found myself doing it as a hobby. Nowadays it's just to get the most bang for my buck. I don't remember well, but I don't think I ever felt overwhelmed. Just ask about anything you're unsure of and you'll be good, there really isn't that much you have to know.

oh man, i originally joined the forums here to just ask a question about my CPU temps but now i fond myself reading up on overclocking FAQs and planning my own devious projects, but yet as i was reading an overclocking guide, i suddenly felt overwhelmed by the amount of things i needed to know. did you guys feel the same way when you first started out OCing you rigs?
Welcome. Once you create your account, you may NEVER go back. It is the first rule in the TOS which you agreed to.

....anyway, yes I started here just browsing, mostly reading on watercooling. Ordered some parts and started posting. Not even that long ago...a year ago May...wow, I have learned so much since then it isn't even funny :-/

Wait...yes it is.

Overclocking is like having a baby really. At first, you're nervous and scared. Confused almost. It seems like there is so much information you need to know to properly nurture and take care of your baby. You don't want your baby to get hurt. You take every precaution and watch the baby's every step. Eventually time goes by and you become more relaxed, or more lazy. Your baby grows up. Go ahead little baby, play near the fire, it's perfectly alright. Go ahead and run as fast as you can on this cement sidewalk littered with shards of broken glass. I know you won't hurt yourself; I trust you, because I know you.

There are however, bad parents. You do not want to be a bad parent. The kind of overconfident parent that takes his newborn baby and makes it walk down a plight of stairs. "My baby can do it," the bad parent thinks, "after all it's got a lifetime warranty."

Overclocking is like having a baby really. At first, you're nervous and scared. Confused almost. It seems like there is so much information you need to know to properly nurture and take care of your baby. You don't want your baby to get hurt. You take every precaution and watch the baby's every step. Eventually time goes by and you become more relaxed, or more lazy. Your baby grows up. Go ahead little baby, play near the fire, it's perfectly alright. Go ahead and run as fast as you can on this cement sidewalk littered with shards of broken glass. I know you won't hurt yourself; I trust you, because I know you.

There are however, bad parents. You do not want to be a bad parent. The kind of overconfident parent that takes his newborn baby and makes it walk down a plight of stairs. "My baby can do it," the bad parent thinks, "after all it's got a lifetime warranty."
Good example.

I myself am a prime example, I start last year May....and I have what? 4600 posts? My soul was stolen before I registered. I remember staring at pictures before I even posted saying "wow....I'll never be able to do that...".

That will also be going up as they let me do what I want at work as long as I pick up the phone when it rings and answer their questions ;)

OC'ing can be very addicting IMO. When I first started a few years back it was my first time building my own computer. It was a AMD 2400 Tbred, and some cheese Abit board. Unless you crank up the vcore to like astronomical proportions it is almost impossible to hurt your computer really. I have put many MANY computers though hell and back, and they have all survived. Hell when I was doing an H20 setup I accidentally spilled a crap load of water on my old 6800 (back when they were l33t), and the darn thing still worked perfect after I let it air dry for a few hours.

I think I have over clocked my computer to far. When I browse ocf. It is already on the next page and posted before I am done clicking.

Just relax and read up, enjoying others company who have the same interests as you. Before you know it. You will be thinking of ways to get even more out of your machine.. Or how to pay off the credit cards.

When you start using terms no one around you has a clue what it means. Then you know your right there. :thup:

I have no idea how to OC anymore. My first, and only, real OC was the 1ghz T-Bird that overclocked so easily to 1.4ghz using multi/fsb and a little pencil mod. After using that for a while running on a delta screamer I decided less noise was more important.

These days it seems that to get max OC's you need to mess with voltage and timings and a bunch of other stuff I dont have enough time to figure out:(

I have no idea how to OC anymore. My first, and only, real OC was the 1ghz T-Bird that overclocked so easily to 1.4ghz using multi/fsb and a little pencil mod. After using that for a while running on a delta screamer I decided less noise was more important.

These days it seems that to get max OC's you need to mess with voltage and timings and a bunch of other stuff I dont have enough time to figure out:(

Only for the diehard nerds. hehe.

All my overclocks are simple modifications of the FSB and multiplier. Then I get lazy and never go into pushing them any further. If I get 500mhz more out of my cpu, then I am very happy.

Here are a few hard and fast rules that I have learned in the 2+ years I have been here:

• There is a difference between practical (24/7 overclocking) and enthusiest overclocking
  • Overclocking results vary, its the luck of the draw to a certain extent
  • Buy the best (not necessiarly the highest wattage) power supply you can afford
  • Overclock slowly! Don't try for that 100% overclock right out of the box
  • Pay attention to the cooling of your components and the interface/mounting of your CPU and Heatsink
  • Have fun!

Back