• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best 12.1" Notebook <1K.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Krome

I'm lQQking to get my first notebook soon. It's going to mostly be for web surfing, and backing up data (DVD). I also want something that I can play some games on, and has maybe 3 hours of battery life.

I was lQQking @ some Asus models, since I ordered one (w5?) for a friend 6 months back and she loves it. I'd really like a Lenovo, but I know they are above 1K.

Any/all suggestions are appreciated...

You're asking for a lot, its going to be pretty difficult to find something with discrete graphics that is 12.1" and less than $1,000. Unless by play some games you mean play WoW or older titles (and I mean older like QuakeIII/UT99 older, not HL2 older) on the Intel graphics.

This is the best match I can find for your desires:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220198

There is also a Core2 version of that laptop for $1160 on Newegg, might be worth going slightly over budget for better CPU performance and battery life, although I imagine with the 8400, the AMD system will outperform in games over the 7300.

I would recommend the IBM as well as they are really well built and they look like serious work computers and not that queer cute type macbook sissy laptop.

i just got a lenovo t61 w/ nvidia quadro graphics. it came in just over $1200 after price deduction and a coupon i found on the net. It just got delivered last night so I haven't gotten to play any games on it, but OpenGL games are supposed to run fine on it (like WoW). I'd say good luck finding anything under $1k that isn't using intel graphics (which are also supposed to handle WoW just fine).

The Asus F9Dc-A1 is really calling out to me. I kinda know that the Asus notebooks have really short battery life. I like the standard 2-year warranty, and 1-year accidental. I just don't like that it only has 1 memory slot...

i don;t think you'll find a 12.1" with discrete graphics mostly because of size issues. but like i said, i think WoW runs fine on intel graphics because of the small screen size and WoW typically depends on the RAM more.

A couple of things are turning me off about the Thinkpads X series. They are NOT WXGA, and lack of good video.

What I HATE about the Asus F9Dc-A1 is that it only has one memory slot, so I'm guessing it doesn't run in dual-channel mode.

I may open up my options to 13" notebooks up to $1,300. I wouldn't want to go w/ a 14" for sure...

A couple of things are turning me off about the Thinkpads X series. They are NOT WXGA, and lack of good video.

What I HATE about the Asus F9Dc-A1 is that it only has one memory slot, so I'm guessing it doesn't run in dual-channel mode.

I may open up my options to 13" notebooks up to $1,300. I wouldn't want to go w/ a 14" for sure...

Seems like two ram slots to me:
http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=177018

generally, laptops have 2 slots, a lot of times 1 is under the keyboard and one is more easily accessible from the bottom of the case.

edit: http://usa.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=5&l2=64&l3=576&l4=0&model=1785&modelmenu=2 seems to support the 1 slot theory

In the link I posted the guy claims to have upgraded from 1x1GB to 2x1GB, I have no reason to doubt him.

I think that Newegg and Asus are claiming that this laptop has 1x1GB stock, but you can add another stick for 2GB total.

2GB is fine for Vista, dual-channel gives a 5-10% performance advantage.

In the link I posted the guy claims to have upgraded from 1x1GB to 2x1GB, I have no reason to doubt him.

I think that Newegg and Asus are claiming that this laptop has 1x1GB stock, but you can add another stick for 2GB total.

2GB is fine for Vista, dual-channel gives a 5-10% performance advantage.

i was thinking that too, but wouldn't 2gb memory modules be supported also? so 2x2 would be 4 max?

Look at the Newegg reviews:
Pros: Solid construction, nice screen and excellent warranty coverage. Added another 1 GB stick of RAM (Corsair Value Select). Upgrades are very easy on this notebook.

Back