• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Time for a new PSU? Toughpower or Silverstone.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NoodleGTS

Hi guys,

I CANNOT overclock at all! Any attempt is met with BSOD hell. This is even at ver modest overclocks and with plenty of VCore. I've decided that it's probably my power supply. My system is in the sig. My Zalman power supply has 4 rails supplying only 14A each. It's rated for a total of 600watts.

What power supply would you recommend for the system described in the sig, given that I want to start Overclocking and that I have 5 case fans running?

I'm currently looking at the 850 watt Thermaltake toughpower and the 850 watt Silverstone Olympia. Should I go with the TT which has higher total 12V Amperage (but spread across 4 rails) or the Silverstone which has a single 12V rail but with slightly less amperage? Keep in mind I'm running SLI and a Quad on a Striker Extreme!

Thanks!

Which model are you talking about? Their PSUs only go up to 750 and I'd like to make sure that I have WAY MORE than enough so that I don't run into this problem again. The last thing I want to do is have to upgrade my PSU again next time I buy a new video card.

I just upgraded from a Silverstone Zues 560 to the Ultra that is in my rig now. After reading several reviews and asking around it just seemed like the best option. I paid 230 for it. I love the modular design. My case has NEVER been this organized. Has all the power you will need and a great price tag also. I know its not one you mentioned, but IMHO anyone looking for a great high end PSU should at least give it a look.

I just upgraded from a Silverstone Zues 560 to the Ultra that is in my rig now. After reading several reviews and asking around it just seemed like the best option. I paid 230 for it. I love the modular design. My case has NEVER been this organized. Has all the power you will need and a great price tag also. I know its not one you mentioned, but IMHO anyone looking for a great high end PSU should at least give it a look.

WOW dude I just read a review for that thing and it sounds/looks amazing. I'm buying it on ZipZoomfly for $249.99. Great deal for a 1000W power supply. Maybe now I'll be able to overclock and get the most out of my system. My vide cards seem to be really held back by my CPU as it is. Hope I never have issues with this again!

if you go the silverstone route get the modular and a single rail that all i was looking for in a supply and i found it with the hx520 but the da750 would be great and the x3 1000watt is a good choice to if you are looking for reviews go to jonnyguru most trusted of all of the sites

Hi guys,

I CANNOT overclock at all! Any attempt is met with BSOD hell. This is even at ver modest overclocks and with plenty of VCore. I've decided that it's probably my power supply. My system is in the sig. My Zalman power supply has 4 rails supplying only 14A each. It's rated for a total of 600watts.

What power supply would you recommend for the system described in the sig, given that I want to start Overclocking and that I have 5 case fans running?

I'm currently looking at the 850 watt Thermaltake toughpower and the 850 watt Silverstone Olympia. Should I go with the TT which has higher total 12V Amperage (but spread across 4 rails) or the Silverstone which has a single 12V rail but with slightly less amperage? Keep in mind I'm running SLI and a Quad on a Striker Extreme!

Thanks!

Noodle,

Here are the reviews from Jonny Guru mentioned above:

http://jonnyguru.com/reviews.php

It's good, informative reading on a critical component.

Check them out, they are quite a few nice power supplies to choose from. Keep in mind that one of our resident power supply experts, Oklahome Wolf, suggests 750 watts for the 8800GTX series boards in SLI. Yours are GTS but I would look at the good 750 watt power supplies minimum anyhow. The PC Power and Cooling Silencer 750 also gets raves here and everywhere else.

You're on the right track with your choices.

There is an Etasis 750 W unit on newegg for $99.0. It is not single rail, but if you can find out how the power is distributed, i.e if the GPU's get their own rails or not. If they do, go for it! Best deal you can find!

WOW dude I just read a review for that thing and it sounds/looks amazing. I'm buying it on ZipZoomfly for $249.99. Great deal for a 1000W power supply. Maybe now I'll be able to overclock and get the most out of my system. My vide cards seem to be really held back by my CPU as it is. Hope I never have issues with this again!

I was a little sceptical at first but after reading the reviews and installing it, I am convinced. This is a great PSU, and very affordable to boot.

i think i would go for the da750 over the pc power and cooling also i never guessed how much the modular helps but now i will never be with out one

i considered the DA850, but in the end I was sold on the Ultra X3 1000w. For the same price, I'm getting some extra watts, which can't hurt, and a better cabling system (the cables are more stealthy).

Let's see if I can finally start overclocking.... I've been waiting for too long.

Good choice! The X3 should be more than sufficient for your current setup and future upgrades!

Back