Notices

Overclockers Forums > Discussions > General Discussion
General Discussion Forum for general conversation, share interests, have a laugh or discuss anything not related to above or below forums.
Forum Jump

New job = oh crap?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Old 10-26-07, 09:53 AM Thread Starter   #1
IAmMoen

New job = oh crap?

I just got a job and although it is going to be fantastic experience and help me get into my masters program it was probably the first time that I have gone into the first day of the job and come out thinking, "my gosh what have I done?" I am 21 straight out of college and I will be the Human Resources Departmental Supervisor for a retail store. I have no real retail experience and my degree is in psychology (though I took a lot of business credits as well as io psych and occupation and vocation psych.

My question is this: have any of you guys been in a position where you think "my gosh what have I done?" Please share so at least I know if I am alone or not

Old 10-26-07, 09:58 AM   #2
conway

Don't let fancy job titles overwhelm you. Chances are that once you find out what's actually expected of you, you'll be fine. If not, you'll quit and find something else.

video - GTX 560 ti
storage - 750 gb Seagate junker
psu - Silverstone ST56ZF
conway is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 10-26-07, 10:25 AM   #3
PhysX

yeha you just hire people. people come to you if they have a problem with the job, that type of stuff.
PhysX is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 10-26-07, 11:33 AM   #4
benbaked
Folding/SETI/Rosetta Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmMoen View Post
My question is this: have any of you guys been in a position where you think "my gosh what have I done?" Please share so at least I know if I am alone or not
Yup, just down some cups of coffee and you'll be fine.

The Chronicles of OCF Rosetta

StaTek is my hero.

R.I.P. Adak, OldSkool, pscout
benbaked is offline Folding Profile SETI Profile Heatware Profile Rosetta Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 10-26-07, 12:19 PM   #5
Illah

Well HR isn't the most 'fun' industry if that's what the issue is It can be pretty button down and bureaucratic. I say just roll with it for a while until you find something better.

--Illah
Illah is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 10-26-07, 12:25 PM   #6
Mr. Roboto

They wouldn't have hired you if they didn't feel that you were absolutely qualified for the job. Any new job will take some learning, once you learn the ropes you should be fine.

Main Rig: e8400 l ASUS P5K Deluxe l G.Skill 4GB HZ's l GTX 280 l 2x320gb 7200.10 Raid 0 l X-FI Platinum l CM Stacker 830 l OCZ 700W GameXtreme l Logitech z-5500's l G5 l Saitek Eclipse II l 2 x 2407 WFP
HTPC:P4 2.8 l 1.5GB ram l 7600GS l HVR-1600 l 400gb raid 0 l Audigy 1 l Coolermaster 280 l 37" Olevia
Mr. Roboto is offline Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 10-26-07, 12:38 PM   #7
djrussell

you'll get good at hiring, firing, filling out tax forms and dealing with unemployment claims.

i started my engineering job right out of college. it's a different field but i've found that i'm okay as long as i'm knowledgeable about the topics. i might never have to do a detailed calculation but as long as i know what people are talking about, i'm fine.

seagate 'cudas 80gb + 500gb
rosewill stallion 500w
raidmax sagitta case
powercolor HD3870 PCS
djrussell is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 10-26-07, 01:45 PM   #8
TommyHolly

I just got out of one of the toughest schools in the Military... Every week a few Officers would washback, washout, or be kicked out during the course of an entire year!

Every day I thought to myself..."Oh boy, what did I get myself into?" haha... It was completely worth it though and I might even sign up for an even tougher school now?

Old 10-26-07, 02:11 PM   #9
Thund3rball

As HR Supervisor you have to be overly happy and friendly, ask people "Tell me something good that happened to you today?" and deal with a LOT of petty employee issues. Get ready for playground bickering and personality conflicts galore. Aren't people fun!?

LAPTOP
DELL XPS M1530
// T7500 2.2GHz // CORSAIR 3GB 667 // SEAGATE 200GB 7.2K // 8600M GT // LG WSXGA+ // 6c BATTERY // VISTA ULT. (RED)

My Heatware
Thund3rball is offline   QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Discussions > General Discussion
General Discussion Forum for general conversation, share interests, have a laugh or discuss anything not related to above or below forums.