• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What color Scythe S-flex for case, U120E, if own a fan ctrlr?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gamefan

Which 120mm Scythe S-flex fan is recommended for (a)Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme cpu cooler, (b) case. I already have a Vantec fan controller (3 fans + lights), and will be connecting it regardless. There are 800rpm, 1200, & 1600 rpm versions of the Scythe S-flex fans. Even if I get the fastest/strongest of the three options it may be possible that I would only ever use it at the lowest level anyways. So I ask for advice because I don't know what general rpm I will be using, or which one to start with. And I don't know if there is any difference between the three at the same relative rpm/cfm cooling level, and since I have will be using a ctrlr. whether it is a bad idea to start with the highest. I want to cut as much noise as possible.

I am going to be putting them in a Lian-Li case and using a Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme cpu cooler with a E6750 C2D in a P5K-E mobo overclocked to a safe max using Crucial Ballistix RAM. I am really trying to cut noise!!!!

And it just happens that the blue (highest 1600 rpm) is on sale where I will be shortly. Until now I was seriously considering the slowest ones (even w/ all controlled)

I don't know if the minimum of one would be the same as the minimum of the other two, when I have the ability to speed control them, and associated noise.

ps I think even the U120E has a variable speed knob as far as that fan (& noise) is concerned

Last edited:
I have 1600rpm on exact same cooling setup its still very quiet even on full at least comparably to other 120mm fans, it's well known that the u120e prefers higher cfm fans just go with what suits you great cooling or quiet cooling.

Ps i get idle temps of 38c and load temps aroun
58c

may i suggest a yate loon 47cfm fan... its a SPCR favorite!

http://www.jab-tech.com/YATE-LOON-120mm-Case-Fan-D12SL-12-pr-3009.html

i have that fan on my regular ultra 120... and it got my e6600 to 4ghz

although the sflex's are a nice fan, the one i got with my scythe kama bay had alot of bearing noise compared to the yate loons.

chek it
P9050118.JPG

P9050130.JPG

Back