• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[FX-60] just got a free upgrade

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Krusty

Insane Overclocking Clown
I managed to snag a free FX-60 to upgrade my Opteron 165, so of course I have several questions.

1. An FX-60 is a good upgrade from an Opteron 165, yes?

2. How is an FX-60 different from the Opteron 185?

3. What kind of overclock have people been getting on these? What voltages are considered safe overclocking voltages?

Keep in mind that I am watercooling, but not necessarily looking for a system that is borderline unstable.

1 ah yea
2 I think the muilt's aval is all
3 3.0 should be easy.

4th send it to me and I will tell you :D

jking nice upgrade not gonna as how you got it for free tho as the best deal I have found was 175 bux and missed it...

Its been a while... I was using an FX60 a couple years ago. I was using a Zalman CPNS 9700 air cooler, but really had issues getting it past 2.9GHz due to heat limitations. With the more modern coolers like the TR Ultra 120 Ex or water, you should get 3.0GHz.

1 ah yea
2 I think the muilt's aval is all
3 3.0 should be easy.

4th send it to me and I will tell you :D

jking nice upgrade not gonna as how you got it for free tho as the best deal I have found was 175 bux and missed it...

From work :p

We don't have many s939 systems at work any more. A Crossfire system we had stopped booting a few months ago. I've had the cpu/motherboard sitting around in the "too nice for trash, but still needs to be trashed" pile. Since it turned out being the motherboard that was bad, that left us with an orphaned FX60 and nowhere to put it.

I was actually a little bit worried that it was the cpu that failed in the system. Thankfully, it appears to be working fine in my computer right now. While tearing my system apart, I also swapped my x800GTO2 with a 7900GS that I snagged for free a while back. thankfully it looks like my gpu waterblock is still compatible. Yay free upgrades!

man, where do you work? i wish my office had "junked" fx-60s and 7900s, lol

as for overclocking, you're not gonna get very far past 3.0ghz, the opterons all kinda die after 3.2ghz if you're on air. as others said, the only benefit is the unlocked multiplier, which makes fsb adjustment easier.

Last edited:
man, where do you work? i wish my office had "junked" fx-60s and 7900s, lol

as for overclocking, you're not gonna get very far past 3.0ghz, the opterons all kinda die after 3.2ghz if you're on air. as others said, the only benefit is the unlocked multiplier, which makes fsb adjustment easier.

Heh, I work at a software development company. I'm also typing this message on a Logitech G15 keyboard that we had leftover. :) The processor was given to us a while back by ATI (hence being in a crossfire system). The video card came from PR (probably from nvidia). The keyboard was given to us by Logitech.

Quick question: Do these default values all look to be correct? It's been a while since I messed with this system, so I'm not sure if everything is correct. HTT say's it's at 200, but does that really mean 200(x5)? RAM is at 200, but does that really mean 200(x2)?

clockgenyo6.jpg

cpuzku6.jpg

looks like everything is fine in cpu-z but it looks like your ht muilt is set to 1x in clockgen...

Why are you using clockgen? This sucker has unlocked multis and with the right board it'll clock 3.0GHz easy. Mine does 3.2GHz with H20. Got it running 3.0GHz rock steady stable 24/7 and crunchin SETI @:

12x250
HTT 4x
Vcore 1.48v
Ram @ 1:1
Vdimm 2.85v

temps do go above 48c loaded.

You're definately going to enjoy it. I luv mine :D

Why are you using clockgen? This sucker has unlocked multis and with the right board it'll clock 3.0GHz easy. Mine does 3.2GHz with H20. Got it running 3.0GHz rock steady stable 24/7 and crunchin SETI @:

12x250
HTT 4x
Vcore 1.48v
Ram @ 1:1
Vdimm 2.85v

temps do go above 48c loaded.

You're definately going to enjoy it. I luv mine :D

I'm using clockgen because I had it on my system using an Opteron 165. Before messing with the system, I just wanted to make sure everything was at default to start with.

Ahh, well alrighty then. What are you waitin for?? Clock that SOB! ;)

*Edit*

I screwed up on the temps :rolleyes: My temps don't go above 48c loaded.

Last edited:
Ahh, well alrighty then. What are you waitin for?? Clock that SOB! ;)

*Edit*

I screwed up on the temps :rolleyes: My temps don't go above 48c loaded.

I'll play with it tonight after work. My ram is rated for 500Mhz so there will definitely be some nice overclocking tonight.

Wound up working late, so I don't get much play time. Here's my first attempt. gonna play a little war3 tonight and prime it overnight.

Edit: hmm, this is an interesting predicament. So I set my bus speed to 250 (to match the rated speed of my RAM) and adjusted my multiplier to give me a safe starting overclock. When I check out the memory setting of cpuz, it indicates that my RAM is running only at 240Mhz, which is CPU speed/12. Is this correct? Or is it a bug in cpuz? If it is correct, where in the hell would I find a memory divider in the bios for an a8n sli deluxe.

cpuzhd3.jpg

Last edited:
I used 14x * 214 to get mine to 3.0 ghz (2.996) with a Zalman 9500. The limiting factor seems to be the cpu. I think you have heat issues much above this on air because the FX60 likes power to OC. Vcore is 1.48v. Above this the temps start climbing to unacceptable levels for me.

Heh, I work at a software development company. I'm also typing this message on a Logitech G15 keyboard that we had leftover. :) The processor was given to us a while back by ATI (hence being in a crossfire system). The video card came from PR (probably from nvidia). The keyboard was given to us by Logitech.

Man, which city are you in? I'm gonna apply for a job at a bank there...do you think I'll get a free $$$ upgrade? :beer:

I used 14x * 214 to get mine to 3.0 ghz (2.996) with a Zalman 9500. The limiting factor seems to be the cpu. I think you have heat issues much above this on air because the FX60 likes power to OC. Vcore is 1.48v. Above this the temps start climbing to unacceptable levels for me.

Pretty much my findings. It was one hot chip!!

Back