• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Internet disconnects atleast twice a day

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vapour0

Registered
hey all,
a little backround info. i have been playing games competitively for about 1 and a half to 2 years. I have not had problems disconnecting until recently, (cant remember exactly when). I play warcraft 3's (Dota mod) and disconnecting during the game is a big problem.

Setup:
1 eircom wireless Modem. ( with 4 wired ports)
1 us.robotics wireless router.( acts like an extension lead for the computers who cant reach the eircom modem.

2 computers connect to the eircom modem. (1 almost 24/7, the other maybe 5 hrs a day)
2 computers connected to the us.robotics router( 1 almost 24/7 and the other maybe 3 hrs a day)

My isp says my line is fine. But it is not. it DOES disconnect for 40seconds -120 seconds at a time almost randomly.
My isp = Eircom (www.eircom.ie)

Eircom runs all the lines threw out Ireland.Digiweb (www.digiweb.ie) told me that if it was a problem with the line, i would disconnect with them also and if i switched wireless was my best option.
I have changed my eircom modem and DSL cables multiple times now with no avail.

Does anyone know what could be a potencial problem? or a program that could tell me exactly when my internet goes off and save a log ( to eircom theres no problem until i can prove it)

Can anyone help? If more info is needed just reply

Thanks Vapour

Just checking, but you do have DHCP enabled only one router, correct?

Here is what you need to do.

Run a tracert to the server your playing the second it disconnects. It will tell you exactly where the line is "broke". If you can't ping your router (usually 192.168.1.1) then you have an internal network problem. If it get to the router and not the first server then it could be a router or ISP problem. If it gets past the first server and stops, it will be a complete ISP problem. Either way, post your results of the tracert (remember to remove your ip address ;)).

Just checking, but you do have DHCP enabled only one router, correct?.

Im not sure. Ill try search now. When im playing warcraft other people host games so i dont know their ip. Should i tracert google or somewere else instead?

Edit: Eircom modem has DHCP enabled. *checking us.robotics router*

1. Do you have a firewall on the line?

2. Which router/modem is the computer you use to play plugged into? If its in the US robotics then I would try plugging it into the modem

3. Does this disconnect only happen when playing W3? or does it happen with other games and applications?

1. Do you have a firewall on the line?

2. Which router/modem is the computer you use to play plugged into? If its in the US robotics then I would try plugging it into the modem

3. Does this disconnect only happen when playing W3? or does it happen with other games and applications?

1: only the built in eircom firewall
2: i connect using the eircom modem
3: All internet activity goes off

DHCP is enabled on both machines

1: only the built in eircom firewall
2: i connect using the eircom modem
3: All internet activity goes off

DHCP is enabled on both machines
If all activity is dropped, try running the tracert to google, that will work.

Back