• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

High Speed Yate Loons?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vipasnipa

Hey y'all,

When purchasing Yate Loons, is there anything wrong with buying the high-speed marked ones and using a fan controller to keep them nice and quiet? Are they somehow less-gooder than normal Yates?

Hey y'all,

When purchasing Yate Loons, is there anything wrong with buying the high-speed marked ones and using a fan controller to keep them nice and quiet? Are they somehow less-gooder than normal Yates?

My question as well. I plan on getting high-speed Yates for my MCR220 in the future.

the performance of the fans tends to degrade quicker with undervolting, it would be better if you picked the exact kind of performance you want rather then undervolting a very high speed fan.

the performance of the fans tends to degrade quicker with undervolting, it would be better if you picked the exact kind of performance you want rather then undervolting a very high speed fan.

hmm never heard that running a fan at a slower speed was harder on the bearings and motor?

Hey y'all,

Yes, totally worth buying the high speed ones and slap them on a fan controller, they work GREAT. Want to know why?

The high speeds ones don't have a resistor in the fan like the medium/low speed ones. So...essentially, your getting an "unlocked" fan.

hmm never heard that running a fan at a slower speed was harder on the bearings and motor?

Yip, that is correct:

At less voltage the fan will try to draw more current to maintain more or less the same power level. More current means more motor vibration, which equals noise and degraded lifespan. Hence the drone you hear when you undervolt powerful fans like tornados

Undervolted fan has less torque on spinning the blades than the one made for that speed.

Compared to the one that made for that speed, the undervolted fan at that lower speed will not be stable, for example a slight changes at the air flow like blocking its way at the exhaust or at it's intake might affect it's speed & pressure greatly.

Its not really the degrade in lifespan that i was refering to, but the performance in CFM/noise is not comparable to different models of the same fan, CFM tends to drop off alot quicker with more noise as you undervolt more.

bing and aja:

If the fans are what thideras has said (the medium and low speed fans are the same as the high-speed with a resistor in-line), then the blades won't suffer from a torque difference, they are the same fans physically, only electronically (and very slightly at that) do they differ.

How do most rheobuses work (not PWM controllers)? Do they limit voltage, or do they act like resistors and limit current?

bing and aja:

If the fans are what thideras has said (the medium and low speed fans are the same as the high-speed with a resistor in-line), then the blades won't suffer from a torque difference, they are the same fans physically, only electronically (and very slightly at that) do they differ.

How do most rheobuses work (not PWM controllers)? Do they limit voltage, or do they act like resistors and limit current?

resistors as far as i know, and they generate heat

bing and aja:

For sure here is "NO" resistor-ed circuit at the lower speed fan, they use different electronic & magnetic components !

Rheobus is basically high wattage potentiometer and works straight as adjustable resistor to limit the current flows hence "indirectly" control it's output voltage or as an adjustable voltage divider (electronic speaks) to adjust the output voltage. Two different types of uses, the 1st one is used most of times for controlling fan.

This is the most primitive form of voltage/current control.

Last edited:
For sure here is "NO" resistor-ed circuit at the lower speed fan, they use different electronic & magnetic components !

Rheobus is basically high wattage potentiometer and works as adjustable voltage divider (electronic speaks) to adjust the output voltage or straight as adjustable resistor to limit the current flows hence "indirectly" control it's output voltage. This is the most primitive form of voltage/current control.

Well... the most primitive form of voltage/current control is a resistor (or a potentiometer, if you need variable).

But I see your point. I've never used any of the 3 Yate Loons in question, so I don't know if they're different or not.

If you plan on turning them down why not just get the med speed? I run the high speeds full blast to drown out the horrible Raptor noises.

My vote is for the high speed and a PWM. PWMs don't vary the voltage or cause an increase in current draw so the aforementioned issues wouldn't be a problem.

I have 4 mediums in my case and they push a LOT of air without hardly any noise.

My vote is for the high speed and a PWM. PWMs don't vary the voltage or cause an increase in current draw so the aforementioned issues wouldn't be a problem.

Do Yate's act nicely with PWMs? Lots of fans suffer from clicking with a PWM controller. Most fans, IIRC, don't play well with PWM controllers.

Well, I got said Yates and a kick-*** sunbeam rhebos because Jab-Tech and USPS Priority Mail rock. My report follows thus.

Holy excrement, Yates push a ton of air for the decibels. Just below 7V when the Sunbeam changes the LED from blue to red, it still pushes plenty of air but is completely silent. I'm going to get 4 140mm Yates and an additional Sunbeam rhebos for my on-route CM 690. Lots of cooling, little noise.

Also, Jab-Tech rules!

Back