• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to get the Abit IP35-Pro up and running for OC's

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

deathman20

High Speed Premium Senior
Alrighty just got my brand spanking new board last night and now for the OC questions to come.

First off is there a way to reduce the voltage any more than 1.325V? Or is that set by the VID on the CPU? I'd think theres a lower voltage option for newer chips but I don't see it.

Second... WTF do all these options do :) CPU voltage/chipset voltage stuff, recommenced settings would be nice, as well as Ram timing info, been a while since I've seen some of the options and I have NOOOO clue at all.

I'll be looking around on the web today for the info I find but if anyone seen any info so far on it that would be great.

Looking for at least a 450Mhz FSB on this beast so recommened settings for this would be nice for the mobo.

Welcome to the IP35 Pro family! :welcome:

The voltage can be reduced. The board boots up at the VID specified by the cpu. Once you boot up, you can go into the BIOS and reduce it there.

Before you do anything though, make sure you flash the BIOS to at least v 1.1. I personally am running v1.4 and have had no problems. Some people have reported problems with 1.4 and 1.6 beta, but they are relatively minor issues. But make sure you have BIOS v1.1 at least. The original BIOS that shipped with the board (v1.0) had some real quirks. Also, did you get a revision 1.0 or 1.1 board?

Ahhh. options lol. VTT = FSB Termination Voltage (ie the voltage that drives the FSB signaling), Vcore = duh and vdimm = duh (lol).

Well I'd think a good starting point (if you still have that E6400) would be to try 400 x 8. At around FSB of 400, all this board really requires is about 1.5v on the Northbridge. once you start pushing 425-450 though, you're going to need to increase to around 1.6. And once you start going for high FSB in the 460-500+ range, you going to want to max it out at 1.72v. This board is very overclocker friendly.

The GTL percentages you see in the uguru section of the BIOS refer to the Advanced Gunner Transceiver Logic voltage levels. You can adjust the percentages here to help you obtain a higher FSB signaling margin, and thus a higher FSB (i.e higher and more stable overclock). Heres a link to a thread I made a while back on GTL voltages - Adjusting [Advanced] Gunning Transceiver Logic (A/GTL+) Voltage Levels
for Increased Front Side Bus (FSB) Signaling Margins and Overclocking

As for the board's cooling, I'd highly recommend this mod over here at XS- Bolt through Heatpipe Mod. This mod just replaces the crappy push pins Abit uses to hold their heatpipe on with small 4-40" bolts and nuts, ensuring better contact with the SB, NB, and PWM's. This mod works wonders. The heatpipe as is already doesn't make great contact, so taking it off, applying some AS5 and using this mod to bolt the thing back in place will help ensure you're getting optimal heat transfer between components, just make sure you have active cooling, because this mod will actually make the heatpipe work lol (due to enhanced thermal contact of course).

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask, hopefully I touched on most of your questions.

-Dave

well my B2 E6400 has a fsb at around the 490's never did find out. since i wanted to play at 500mhz... any how getting to 450 isnt that hard, im at 400fsb with near stock NB volts.

im not sure so im gonna ask, what parts are you using with the IP35-pro. im sure one option your not gonna be using is the 3volts for ddr2 ram. :O

yea he use to have my thread from here listed in there... guess he pulled it since its more of a living thread now then a review. imo a one time review isnt as good as a living thread...

http://www.ocforums.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=5317248

Welcome to the IP35 Pro family! :welcome:

The voltage can be reduced. The board boots up at the VID specified by the cpu. Once you boot up, you can go into the BIOS and reduce it there.

Well tried to select lower voltage but couldn't was stuck at 1.325 for the lowest I could select it. Definatly was hoping for the lower since I surely do enjoy my 3Ghz clocks at 1.275V sometimes, doubt I'll run that much anymore but its always nice to have an option, or my really low 1.1V 2.4Ghz clock.

Before you do anything though, make sure you flash the BIOS to at least v 1.1. I personally am running v1.4 and have had no problems. Some people have reported problems with 1.4 and 1.6 beta, but they are relatively minor issues. But make sure you have BIOS v1.1 at least. The original BIOS that shipped with the board (v1.0) had some real quirks. Also, did you get a revision 1.0 or 1.1 board?

I do have the latest bios, the 9/6/07 date on it. It came with the board. Not sure if I have 1.0 or 1.1 Revision I'd have to check when I get home, didn't look but I did just purchase it from Newegg if that has any chance of the newer board.

Ahhh. options lol. VTT = FSB Termination Voltage (ie the voltage that drives the FSB signaling), Vcore = duh and vdimm = duh (lol).

Duh hehe, was more intrested in the ICH (which if nto mistaken is the SB), but whats the ICHIO voltage.

Well I'd think a good starting point (if you still have that E6400) would be to try 400 x 8. At around FSB of 400, all this board really requires is about 1.5v on the Northbridge. once you start pushing 425-450 though, you're going to need to increase to around 1.6. And once you start going for high FSB in the 460-500+ range, you going to want to max it out at 1.72v. This board is very overclocker friendly.

I know its high clock friendly was trying to figure it out since alot aren't pumping that high of a MCH was looking around 1.4-1.5V for 500Mhz basically. Yet you can crank the board up really high. Was just curious though with it since I was looking around.

The GTL percentages you see in the uguru section of the BIOS refer to the Advanced Gunner Transceiver Logic voltage levels. You can adjust the percentages here to help you obtain a higher FSB signaling margin, and thus a higher FSB (i.e higher and more stable overclock). Heres a link to a thread I made a while back on GTL voltages - Adjusting [Advanced] Gunning Transceiver Logic (A/GTL+) Voltage Levels for Increased Front Side Bus (FSB) Signaling Margins and Overclocking.

Hmm thought it was related to quad cores, but how much is to much in this. I know its default is 70%, would 80% be to much? Where does this voltage really applied to, is it the CPU or the NB?

As for the board's cooling, I'd highly recommend this mod over here at XS- Bolt through Heatpipe Mod. This mod just replaces the crappy push pins Abit uses to hold their heatpipe on with small 4-40" bolts and nuts, ensuring better contact with the SB, NB, and PWM's. This mod works wonders. The heatpipe as is already doesn't make great contact, so taking it off, applying some AS5 and using this mod to bolt the thing back in place will help ensure you're getting optimal heat transfer between components, just make sure you have active cooling, because this mod will actually make the heatpipe work lol (due to enhanced thermal contact of course).

Intresting... I'll have to look into this probably won't do this right away since I want to get it back and running but after I get a chance to play around with it definatly will be playing with it.

Thanks

Yup I do have my E6400 still, and I know it can OC VERY nicely. I've taken it up to 3.76Ghz and it ran relatively cool on air cooling before. Surely I wanted to see if I could even achieve a higher clock just for the heck of it :) I know I have to do some tweaking and with my existing equipment, like definatly sand my CPU since its highly concave to achieve better temps but as well do that board tweaking at a similar time as well. Mmmm can't wait its like a new system now that I can OC again, and much easier to work with than my water setup :)

I'll have to respond back to the rest of yeah in a few min when lunch comes up.

well my B2 E6400 has a fsb at around the 490's never did find out. since i wanted to play at 500mhz... any how getting to 450 isnt that hard, im at 400fsb with near stock NB volts.

im not sure so im gonna ask, what parts are you using with the IP35-pro. im sure one option your not gonna be using is the 3volts for ddr2 ram. :O

Well I'll just have to play with it I tried 375Mhz for 3.0Ghz and it didn't seem to go at all so I'll have to try it more. I just tried to see if it would do it without playing with any voltages, might of messed up Ram timing stuff thuogh so I'll have to check that as well. Was trying to get Vista recognizing all the board and new stuff yesterday, which it did \o/ another successful board transplant and HDD Raid without any installs or re-activations.

BTW I'm using all the same components. Only thing thats new is im back on air, I got the IP35-Pro and I got a SATA DVD burner now. Don't plan to changing video card til early next year.

Quote:
The GTL percentages you see in the uguru section of the BIOS refer to the Advanced Gunner Transceiver Logic voltage levels. You can adjust the percentages here to help you obtain a higher FSB signaling margin, and thus a higher FSB (i.e higher and more stable overclock). Heres a link to a thread I made a while back on GTL voltages - Adjusting [Advanced] Gunning Transceiver Logic (A/GTL+) Voltage Levels for Increased Front Side Bus (FSB) Signaling Margins and Overclocking.

Hmm thought it was related to quad cores, but how much is to much in this. I know its default is 70%, would 80% be to much? Where does this voltage really applied to, is it the CPU or the NB?

Actually, the default is 67%. If you read the article I linked to, you'll understand why. 70% is good reference point though for around 400FSB. Once you go about 450FSB, you might want to look at maybe around 72%. 80% is waaay too much.. at that point, you're pushing the GTL way out of spec, just like the HTT on the A64's used to act weird when pushed too far beyond spec. I'd start at 70% and see how high you can go.

you might have to bump the nb volts more then with 4gigs of ram... the new 1.4bios is a bit more picky about that.. not sure how or why but when i was on 1.1 bios i need to bump the nb voltage to what im at now....

*edit*
dont touch the CPUGTL unless your using a quad... all my ocs on this board have been with the defualt 67% CPUGTL. use the CPUVTT/MCH instead of CPUGTL.

*edit2*
ich/ichio is the SB
mch is the NB.
check my link in sig for bios ss's.

@Dman
you have the new rev 1.1 :thup:

Last edited:
Yeah figured I'd need to up the NB voltage for the ram but wasn't sure I know at least the 965 chipset I didn't need to do that which was nice for my lower OC.

My default GTL is 70% but as said thought I was reading it was more quad core orientated.

that wierd that your is 70%, even with bios 1.4 mine still stayed at 67%...

You are right.. the GTL is generally only need to tweak when dealing with Quads because of their increased strain on the power circuitry. Weird that its at 70% though. That won't hurt anything though.

I'll reset it when I get home to make sure but first boot it was 70% for me. But hey if it works and isn't going to harm anything leaving it there, since well it was default eh more power to me, i mean more power to my CPU :)

BTW Whats the differences between the Rev 1.0 and Rev 1.1 boards?

no telling but im guessing its a tweaked pcb layout for power circuits. as they tend to oc higher then the rev 1.0's.

BTW... I noticed it in other threads as well, is speed step still enabled on this board when OCing? I know I couldn't do it with my last board and thought it was quiet nice since my clocks was stable at low voltages and decent speeds.

No it is not. All you have to do is just disable it in the BIOS and you're done. I believe the rev 1.1 boards have somewhat improved circuitry and come with the rev 1.4 BIOS on them. I think thats the only difference...

No it is not. All you have to do is just disable it in the BIOS and you're done. I believe the rev 1.1 boards have somewhat improved circuitry and come with the rev 1.4 BIOS on them. I think thats the only difference...

Ah so it is there sweet. Sorry ment I missed it on my last board, thought it was a nice feature when im not using full power on the CPU to have it cooler/less power consuming.

Well got her running... A nice 3.2Ghz to start her off with piece of cake, no voltage increases. Last night when I tried 3.0Ghz I set the ram to the wrong divider, no wonder why it wouldn't work. Doh hehe.

Back