• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pc won't boot and has no error codes

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

-maddog-

Today I came home and tried to login to my pc, but XP just gave an error whenever I tried to type saying can not copy text from password field(or something of that sort). I shut down the pc, but instead of waiting for it to finish shutting down, I just did a hard shutdown. When I turned the pc back on, the drives started for a moment and then nothing. Any ideas how to fix this?

Having the same sort of problem with my PC mate - no POST screen, no beeps but power to everything.

I've cleared the CMOS by removing the battery but I still can't get my PC to boot. I've been told to unplug the USB ports from the board and try that after the CMOS reset. Didn't work for me though, but maybe something you could try.

Let us know if you have any luck!

If you have problems POSTing:

Reseat all cards and memory, make sure all card/memory is pushed all the way. Try to get it to POST.

Remove anything unneeded for a POST. Use processor, heatsink, motherboard, power supply and memory, thats it. If it doesn't POST, remove memory and see if you get a RAM POST error (3 long beeps). If that doesn't work, chances are its the motherboard. If you have another power supply you can test, try that. Same for the processor.

If it works (removing components), start adding things 1 by 1, testing each time until it fails to boot.

Thideras: thanks very much. Will definitely try that the second I get home.

Sorry to kind of hijack your thread there, Maddog.

D

Oops I forgot to mention, the pc is a notebook.
Under warranty? :eh?:

Unplug the laptop from the wall, remove the battery (main battery) and hold the power button down for 30 seconds. Let it sit for around 5 hours (or overnight) and try and power it up from the wall plug (ONLY) and see if it turns on.

Thideras: thanks very much. Will definitely try that the second I get home.

Sorry to kind of hijack your thread there, Maddog.

D
No problem :thup:

Not really a hijack since you had the same question ;)

:welcome: to the forums!!! :D:D

Under warranty? :eh?:

Unplug the laptop from the wall, remove the battery (main battery) and hold the power button down for 30 seconds. Let it sit for around 5 hours (or overnight) and try and power it up from the wall plug (ONLY) and see if it turns on.

It only has a hd warranty still afaik. I will try that, thanks.

Back