• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which Video Card?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PWatterson

Hi guys. It has been awhile since I've posted. It's good to see the forums are still going strong.

At any rate, I find over to a freinds house today and determined his video card was bad (popped mine in and it worked, so I stopped there). He needs a new one and is willing the spend 150 bucks max.

He has..

x2 4200+
1gb Ram
Some Asus motherboard (PCI-e x16)

It is an HP, so I could not tell much more, but the card that needs replacing is a 7500LE. He mainly plays WoW and C&C 3. I was thinking maybe a ATI 2600XT or an 8600Gxx, but I have not really been keeping track of video cards in the past months, so I have no clue was is considered mid-range now. Any thoughts?

Btw, its an AM2 system if that matters any. Are there any other good bets for under $150? Would there be an advantage to getting the DX10 card?

Just a heads-up re: the card linked: The stock cooler is awful. It's passable for gaming, but it'll run hot even with the fan at 100%. We're talking 65-70+ temps with good case cooling.

The card itself is pretty nice (just ran mine through the Crysis demo), but it's worth looking into a slightly better cooler (Accelero S1's are ~20bux).

Yeah, the HIS card is dual slot. Blows the hot air out of the case. Better cooling.

Too bad you can't get the X1950XTX anymore. Great OC'er, gddr4...

Back