• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The Aricebo message

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

El<(')>Maxi

Blank Senior Member
Has anyone seen this? The graphic has to make you laugh a little, I know it was 1974 but thats the best they could do?

200px-Arecibo_message.svg.png

You have to understand that in 1974 in Aricebo Puerto Rico, those guyz were pretty stoned. The best home grown and the best Puerto Rican Rum was available. I know because I'm Puerto Rican and it's my heritage :cool:

Gotta give them credit, at least 1 of those guyz was somewhat sober enough to create that, lol ;)

If they we're feeling that good you would think they might have just filled it up for a really big hot tub party and forgot to transmit. Maybe where they sent it the population is still living in caves, at least they'll have the jump on inventing light-bright if they can't figure it out ;)

You have to understand that in 1974 in Aricebo Puerto Rico, those guyz were pretty stoned.

Wikipedia said:
This is the message with color added to highlight its separate parts. The actual binary transmission carried no color information.

That would explain the lack of colour :) Theyd probably flip at seeing something so colourful, then we'd REALLY have an odd looking transmission that youd probably need to be stoned in order to figure it out xD

Disclaimer: Im taking the ****.

EDIT: actually, do you use the term "taking the p i s s" in America? Just dawned on me you might have no clue what Im saying o_O

I love this one...for anyone who hasn't seen the first link, can you tell me what this is supposed to represent?

Arecibo_message_part_6.png

Lols we learn't about SETI in science and the teacher tried to draw a representation of that ke ke ke

I love this one...for anyone who hasn't seen the first link, can you tell me what this is supposed to represent?

Arecibo_message_part_6.png

It represents our sun and the nine planets (when they still classified Pluto as a planet). The third one from the sun is positioned slightly above the rest (and toward the humanoid figure) to indicate that the third planet is the one that the message was sent from.

There was an old DOS program from the 90s called Space Adventure that explained all aspects of this message in detail. The double-helix or whatever is supposed to signify our DNA structure, the upper portion of the message explains how to count in binary, and the purple thing at the bottom represents the Arecibo telescope itself and how the signal was sent. (IIRC)

Yes I know what it is ben...the question was for anyone who didn't catch the first link ;)

Anyway I think it's fairly obvious, the chances of an intelligence understanding what that particular image is supposed to represent seem pretty slim.

I thought I might win a cookie (or a beer) for answering it correctly (I didn't see the link until after I posted). :)

I've always thought it was a cool looking message, but without the color it loses so much of its coolness. There was also a twilight zone episode (from the new series I think) where this lady in a hospital was picking up messages in her head and writing it out on sheet after sheet of paper. At the end of the episode they realize that the message she is receiving is from aliens responding to this message.

Also, they used a matrix of 23 x 73, two prime numbers so that [hopefully] ET can deduce that this is supposed to be a 2D representation.

I've always thought it was a cool looking message, but without the color it loses so much of its coolness. There was also a twilight zone episode (from the new series I think) where this lady in a hospital was picking up messages in her head and writing it out on sheet after sheet of paper. At the end of the episode they realize that the message she is receiving is from aliens responding to this message.
Did they ask what the hell we sent them? :p

Or...

"Your drawing is horrible, do it again and we destroy your planet"

Did they ask what the hell we sent them? :p

Or...

"Your drawing is horrible, do it again and we destroy your planet"

I can't remember, I saw that episode like ten years ago, but I think it was something along those lines...

EDIT: it might've been an episode of the Outer Limits, I can't remember. I just remember the woman was writing out pages and pages of 1s and 0s that she was hearing in her head, and she was the only person receiving the message.

Last edited:
Back