• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ga-965 --> ga-p35-ds4 worthy upgrade?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

yzzuf

I currently have :

q6600 b3 @ 400x8 = 3200
ga-965
4g (2x2g) ocz 6400 gold xtc
8800gtx

I kind of have the upgrade bug and a local shop has a ga-p35-ds4 for $230cnd. Is this worth the upgrade to get the newer chipset or is this just a waste of cash? Am I going to see any more OC headroom or better stability switching to the p35 chipset? Thanks.

I dont how the 2 compares oc'ing wise but I wouldnt, but if you really want to upgrade get the new x38 boards. Wiser choice, but thats just me :)

What is the pack date on that CPU?

I ask b/c older one's had problems clocking any higher than what you have already. Newer one's from this past summer may OC to 3.6GHz 24/7. You didn't mention a HS, but you'll need something good like a TR-U120E if you want to clock high on that quad.

Then you have to consider that the most you'll get will be an additional 400MHz and it'll cost you $230...I don't know the exchange rate, but that sure seems like a bad deal.

I doubt your games will benefit much from that extra 400Mhz anyway.

I say you wait for Nehelem for a complete system upgrade. New gfx cards are coming out soon, so keep your eye in that arena if your looking for a worthy upgrade sometime soon that will give a real performance boost.

What is the pack date on that CPU?

I ask b/c older one's had problems clocking any higher than what you have already. Newer one's from this past summer may OC to 3.6GHz 24/7. You didn't mention a HS, but you'll need something good like a TR-U120E if you want to clock high on that quad.

Then you have to consider that the most you'll get will be an additional 400MHz and it'll cost you $230...I don't know the exchange rate, but that sure seems like a bad deal.

I doubt your games will benefit much from that extra 400Mhz anyway.

I say you wait for Nehelem for a complete system upgrade. New gfx cards are coming out soon, so keep your eye in that arena if your looking for a worthy upgrade sometime soon that will give a real performance boost.

Not sure on the pack date of the cpu but its a B3 not a GO so I don't think I will get much more than the 3.2 out of it that I already have. Alot of reviews I've seen show that the p35 is around 2-5% improvement over the 965 chipset.

Not sure on the pack date of the cpu but its a B3 not a GO so I don't think I will get much more than the 3.2 out of it that I already have. Alot of reviews I've seen show that the p35 is around 2-5% improvement over the 965 chipset.

That answers your question. :)

2-5% of performance improvement is not worth the upgrade IMHO. But like I said if you really wanna upgrade get an x38 board instead.

Back