• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wally-World Got Linux!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

curtis1552

Well, almost.

LINK to Gos based desktop

Cnet article on the laptop LINK
LINK to the Lindows/Linspire based laptop

Who wants to buy one?

Do you think it will help mainstream linux?

Did anyone notice that most of the computers come with open office (even the Vista ones)?

probably not, not because the OS its self, but the hardware, if they hardware turns out to be pretty crappy and fails a lot, people aren't only going to think the computers suck, but the OS as well... you know how people are.

Too true Physx,

Notice the VIA brand CPU?!! on the desktop 1.5Ghz.

The laptopp is worse, another VIA but at 1.0Ghz!!

IMO these are below budget builds and overpriced.
I had heard about it at work tonight and wanted to share, but now that I really looked at the specs I'm totally disappointed.

walmart was selling linspire desktops for a while, i thought

Too true Physx,

Notice the VIA brand CPU?!! on the desktop 1.5Ghz.

The laptopp is worse, another VIA but at 1.0Ghz!!

IMO these are below budget builds and overpriced.
I had heard about it at work tonight and wanted to share, but now that I really looked at the specs I'm totally disappointed.

They are priced correctly. Infact the motherboard and CPU together can be had for $60 bucks (http://hardware.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/11/07/2036249 ) So its pretty damn nice.

Wow, when I originally linked that desktop it was 300$ not 200$

I did not consider 300$ to be reasonable for such an outdated computer, but 200$ is reasonable and should help people with more limited budgets purchase a computer.

Realistically you could get a lot done for $200

True, if you know what you are doing you could piecemeal a system like that for no more than 150$
However, most people are not willing to do this.

I mostly thought that it would be nice that people are being introduced to opensource programs and linux distros (even if it is google's OS).
If it ever takes off the linux forums will be flooded with NOOB questions (not likely). But the appeal is that more people will be using linux, and it is a start and weakening the stranglehold microsoft now maintains on operating system GUIs (windows) and data applications (microsoft office).

Basically Walmart caters to the unwashed masses.
These people now have acces to a linux based machine.
Due to lower funds they will be morelikely to purchase this than a more expensive one.
No the masses are uning linux, they find they like linux.
The demand increases.
The support and documentation for linux/distros increses.
The more affluent people hear of linux.
Some will be cheap and choose it.
Linux gains popularity.
Over time varioius linux disros will be used in widespread applications.

Now, I'm not dissing walmant, I shop there a lot.
I also love using linux it is superior to windows in many ways.
The appeal of this is that it will increase the general population's familiarity with Linux, and make people less reluctlant to try it or use it.
The general population is not going to search distrowatch and select a nice distro, they just want a computer that does what it is supposed to with them not having to tweak anything. This will allow them that, whothout the "confusion" of setting up a linux distro.

Well, almost.

LINK to Gos based desktop

Cnet article on the laptop LINK
LINK to the Lindows/Linspire based laptop

Who wants to buy one?

Do you think it will help mainstream linux?

Did anyone notice that most of the computers come with open office (even the Vista ones)?

Not the first time Wal-Mart was selling Linux, AFAIK. Back in 2002, a Wal-Mart had Mandrake Linux 8.1, AFAIK!

I wouldn't take on again, Mine couldn't even play DVDs without being choppy.

My Pentium3 takes 3minutes to SpI 1M, the C3 takes like 12minutes that's 4X slower.

FYI the Desktop is NOT a C3. It is a C7. C7 is much lower power usage, faster, and has hardware-accelerated crytogarphy extensions. And these are meant to be low-end office machines, for word proccessing, email, spreadsheets, etc. They are not meant to be gaming and video editing machines. VIA CPUs were never designed to do those.

Back