• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Any point in buying a SSC or KO over a regular SC????

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

M Diddy

Just curious... Is there any point to getting either of the higher end cores over just the SC? I know they're clocked higher from the factory, but are they also higher binned cores able to OC more? Or should I just save some cash and go with the SC? Would like to know as I plan on picking one up tonight. Thanks!

there's no reason to even pic up a SC if the regular one is in stock go with it, they all overclock the same, they all have the same rev core.

BFG OC 8800GT locks @ 700/2000 when playing HL2 Episode Two for extended time. These may very well be being binned. But considering the very small % of OC there...might not be worth the money. I'm still waiting for the $229 GT's some of these ******** got. :D

i have an Inno3d card that clocks as well as anyother 8800GT's (minus a few freaks) and its a stock referance card from a cheap vendor. No point getting SC on these cards (or any other)

I read somewhere that the shader OC could only be done through firmware this being the reason to buy one of these factory OC'ed cards..(Sounds a bit strange) Can someone confirm or deny this.

I read somewhere that the shader OC could only be done through firmware this being the reason to buy one of these factory OC'ed cards..(Sounds a bit strange) Can someone confirm or deny this.

I seriously doubt this. With the GTS, and GTX you used to have to flash the BIOS to clock the shader independently of the core. The shader would scale right along w/ the core, and the core would usually top out before the shader would. A BIOS flash would allow you to take the shader to it's limit.

Then nVidia released some new drivers, and suddenly RivaTuner (2.05 and later) allowed independent OCing of the shader and core clocks. No more need to flash.

I'm assuming the GT will be the same.

*note: If you're running XP you have to do a couple tweaks to RivaTuner to be able to clock the shader independently.

BFG OC 8800GT locks @ 700/2000 when playing HL2 Episode Two for extended time. These may very well be being binned. But considering the very small % of OC there...might not be worth the money. I'm still waiting for the $229 GT's some of these ******** got. :D

BTW...I got my 8800 GT SC at NCIXUS for $239, you might wnat to watch them as their prices litterally fluctuate by the hour

I seriously doubt this. With the GTS, and GTX you used to have to flash the BIOS to clock the shader independently of the core. The shader would scale right along w/ the core, and the core would usually top out before the shader would. A BIOS flash would allow you to take the shader to it's limit.

Then nVidia released some new drivers, and suddenly RivaTuner (2.05 and later) allowed independent OCing of the shader and core clocks. No more need to flash.

I'm assuming the GT will be the same.

*note: If you're running XP you have to do a couple tweaks to RivaTuner to be able to clock the shader independently.

From what I've seen the shader is totally independent of the core since people will crank up the shader clocks and leave core stock. At least in the tests I've seen they've done each one seperatly to check the differences in speeds it caused.

Thanks for the info.. I guess I will find out for sure this week when my SC arrives.

Back