Notices

Overclockers Forums > Overclockers.com Teams > Competitive Benchmarking Team > Volt Modding & Circuitry
Volt Modding & Circuitry Calling Dr. Frankenstein! When too much is barely enough...
Forum Jump

Hot glue from glue gun - can I use it?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 11-04-07, 03:10 AM Thread Starter   #1
aja

Location: SOUTH AFRICA, and yes, we do have electricity, and no, lions dont walk around in our streets

Hot glue from glue gun - can I use it?

I want to stick a mounting bracket permanantly to a pentium III motherboard. The area I will be covering is large and I will need to glue over a MOSFET and cap's and some IC's...

Can I use hot glue from a glue gun? Is it electrically insulative?

If not, should I apply nail varnish to the board before I glue it?
aja is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 11-04-07, 06:22 AM Thread Starter   #2
aja

Location: SOUTH AFRICA, and yes, we do have electricity, and no, lions dont walk around in our streets

Is there some other similar glue that anyone can recommend if I cannot use it?
Old 11-04-07, 06:33 AM   #3
largon

2-component epoxy.
While hot glue isn't conductive it's not strong enough for any permanent application.
Especially when the components that are glued produce heat...

largon is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 11-04-07, 06:42 AM Thread Starter   #4
aja

The problem is that I have a gap of about 8mm to fill between the bracket and the mobo.

That would take a lot of epoxy and it tends to be too runny to fill such a big gap...

No weight will hang from it at all, so strength is not a problem.

Good point about the heat - more problems to concider, yay...
Old 11-04-07, 04:35 PM Thread Starter   #5
aja

Okay, I can get around the MOSFET, but will still cover some small capacitors and other IC's. Is this okay?

I am getting itchy hehe...
Old 11-04-07, 05:47 PM   #6
AlexanderB

you could try the plyable epoxy? its a bit like clay. sold in a 2 component stick that you have to mix... and then you can put it on (great as a filler or for 'creating' parts)

remember that most (if not all) glue types dont take heat too well...
AlexanderB is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 11-05-07, 01:32 AM Thread Starter   #7
aja

Thanks for the suggestions!

Ill meander over to my builders shop and see what epoxies I can get..

Old 11-05-07, 01:33 AM Thread Starter   #8
aja

P.S.

to OCF AlexanderB!
Old 11-05-07, 02:19 AM   #9
Deanzo
Benchmarking Senior Member

You can certainly use hot glue on most parts of your board, I use it all over my board to hold wires in place.

I can even show you a picture if you would like.

icebob: Do we have to flip the screen upside down to see you Dean!!!!
Deanzo is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 11-05-07, 02:48 AM Thread Starter   #10
aja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanzo View Post
You can certainly use hot glue on most parts of your board, I use it all over my board to hold wires in place.

I can even show you a picture if you would like.
Hey you are right! the voltmod boys use it to hold little soldered wires in place! I remember seeing it now, no need for a picture thanks!

Do you think a MOSFET on a P III board could really melt it?
Old 11-05-07, 03:12 AM   #11
AlexanderB

and thanks

I have no idea how hot those get... I'd say no problem.. and if not, you'll find out soon enough :P
AlexanderB is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 11-05-07, 03:13 AM   #12
bing
Low Profile Senior

Even not melting it, they will soften that cured glue, imo use some epoxy putty is the best cause they will cured like a stone like material.

Anyway, since mosfet will heat up, what ever material you're going to use, make sure you test it 1st on a disposable glass outer surface, once cured, pour a hot water in it to see if the heat is affecting that material.

bing is offline Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 11-05-07, 06:11 AM   #13
gangaskan

10 Year Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by bing View Post
Even not melting it, they will soften that cured glue, imo use some epoxy putty is the best cause they will cured like a stone like material.

Anyway, since mosfet will heat up, what ever material you're going to use, make sure you test it 1st on a disposable glass outer surface, once cured, pour a hot water in it to see if the heat is affecting that material.

or ignite it :P

Main Rig: [Silverstone TJ06 painted hammer black] [Intel E6550 3.2 ghz 1.35v ] [4 gigs Gskil] [Asus P5k Premium Wifi/ap] [Soundblaster Audiguy ZS platinum] [ATI 3560 pro] [enhiem 1250 pump, Swiftech Storm, primoflex tubing, mcres micro, maze 4 gpu block][ Windows Vista x64 Ultimate sp1]
HTPC: [LianLI V300B] [Opty 165 1.88 ghz] [Thermalright XP90] [2 gb OCZ Platinum DDR400] [Soundblaster X-FI Xtreme Music] [8600GT Stock] [Windows Vista Home Premium sp1]
Server: [Rocketfish Tower] [c2d E6600][Scythe Ninja Jr] [4 gigs Gskil ddr2 800][ATI X850XT ] [Windows Vista B]
Network: Cisco 851W uptime: forever
Heatware
gangaskan is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 11-05-07, 08:28 AM   #14
speed bump

Can you show us a picture?

I have used hot glue to attach alot of electronics and have never had a problem but i'm not sure exactly what you are doing.

Ever run a benchmark? support our forums by posting it in the 3dmark team and system benchmarking team sections.
My heatware

Silence may be golden but performance is platinum
speed bump is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 11-05-07, 08:35 AM   #15
bing
Low Profile Senior

Hot glue is fine for cold part of the pcb, power mosfet or inductor are known to be warm or even hot, not good for "hot" glue !

bing is offline Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 11-05-07, 09:49 AM Thread Starter   #16
aja

Quote:

Thats a good idea, I'll try that

Quote:
Originally Posted by gangaskan View Post
or ignite it :P
Eeeewwww - burning glue stinks like crazy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed bump View Post
Can you show us a picture?

I have used hot glue to attach alot of electronics and have never had a problem but i'm not sure exactly what you are doing.
Hmmm, you will just have to wait and see - its very ghetto. Once I have all the parts I need I'll post

Quote:
Hot glue is fine for cold part of the pcb, power mosfet or inductor are known to be warm or even hot, not good for "hot" glue !
I can glue around the one MOSFET that is in the way, so should be fine!

Thanks guys, I'll get some different epoxies and hot glue and see what I can come up with. I also thought of using car exhaust repair putty as a gap filler since it is resistant to heat. Will let you know what I am up to soon!

byebye
Old 11-19-07, 07:00 AM   #17
Conumdrum
Wants Old Title Back
Didn't Get It

My worry would be insulating heat that needs to escape. You might cover something up that gets hot, and hot enough to cook the component if covered. You got a IR temp gun to measure temps? Maybe set your comp up on a test stand and run a stress test and check the temp of the components you want to cover first? Have to get within a cm to get a good reading on those tiny suckers.
Conumdrum is offline Author Profile   QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Overclockers.com Teams > Competitive Benchmarking Team > Volt Modding & Circuitry
Volt Modding & Circuitry Calling Dr. Frankenstein! When too much is barely enough...