• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

svchost.exe crashes and only system sounds play

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rebelwarlock

When I started up this computer today, an error reporting window came up saying that generic host process 32 had crashed. Here's the log from the event viewer:

Faulting application svchost.exe, version 5.1.2600.2180, faulting module rastapi.dll, version 5.1.2600.2180, fault address 0x0000bba4.

It now gives this error every time I boot the system. Also, only system sounds will play. When I try to open volume control, it says that there is no device installed. However, when I go to the device manager, it says that the device is working properly. I have tried installing updated drivers, but I'm still getting the same problem. I've also noticed the following errors in the event viewer:

"Unable to open the Server service. Server performance data will not be returned. Error code returned is in data DWORD 0."

"Fault bucket 135285488."

This computer is sharing an internet connection, but after receiving these errors, the other computers on the network can no longer connect to the internet. I've tried manually starting the server service, and I'm rebooting now to see if that made a difference (it is set to automatic in the services). Any help would be appreciated.

Back