• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DAMMIT Slash Prices Instead Over Cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AngelfireUk83

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2007/11/05/amd-hd3800-pricing-shock

AMD/ATi with there latest cards to hit the shelves Nov 19th 07 hit clock walls when setting the speed for GPU and RAM. Anyways instead of adding expensive cooling which would up the price of the cards they decided not too and leave it and prices have been slashed.

Radeon HD 3850 should retail for $149 to 179 (USD), while 3870 should be between 200 to 230 the 3870 X2 will probably be slightly higher just under $300 maybe thats my guess.

who cares, i would rather pay less for a card and then buy proper cooling that i know would work rather than have a more expensive card with crappy cooling anyways. besides if you getting this you wanna oc, which you probably couldn't do with the "better" cooling anyways.

Last edited:
http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2007/11/05/amd-hd3800-pricing-shock

AMD/ATi with there latest cards to hit the shelves Nov 19th 07 hit clock walls when setting the speed for GPU and RAM. Anyways instead of adding expensive cooling which would up the price of the cards they decided not too and leave it and prices have been slashed.

Radeon HD 3850 should retail for $149 to 179 (USD), while 3870 should be between 200 to 230 the 3870 X2 will probably be slightly higher just under $300 maybe thats my guess.

Now this is very interesting. I wonder if the 3870 X2 will work without a Crossfire motherboard...

AMD isn't putting fancy coolers on them for higher clocks, but that doesn't mean that the reselling companies can't. :shrug:

True, and given that the GPUs are 55nm, wouldn't this suggest that these chips can clock to at least 2900 OC levels? I applaud AMD deciding to aggressively cut the price of these cards rather than stick expensive coolers on them, it'll be very interesting to see how these perform at stock and what kind of HSF they will be using... Wonder if it will be a single slot solution like the 8800GT or the same as the 2900s.

On a side note, it's interesting that nVidia hasn't come out with a new generation of cards yet, could it be that the 8800GT and revised GTS is a stop gap? Perhaps both companies are facing problems developing cards with a significant performance boost over the current generation. :confused:

nVidia released there G92's which IMO is basically just raking in more money on there current tech while they either perfect there next gen ones or add more features to them in the mean time. Or the G92's are a test of how well there process switch went and possibly some of the new items that will make its way into the G98's or what ever they will call them.

That's not bad, more then the half of us slaps on an aftermarket cooler on these things anyway. Might as well get the cards cheaper then :)

Indeed. Actually thought they where going to be the same coolers as whats on the 2900XT.

nVidia released there G92's which IMO is basically just raking in more money on there current tech while they either perfect there next gen ones or add more features to them in the mean time. Or the G92's are a test of how well there process switch went and possibly some of the new items that will make its way into the G98's or what ever they will call them.

I agree, it seems as though it's a test of what they're planning for the 9000 series, would explain why the 8800GT performs so strongly despite being limited by a 256bit Bus and 512MB of memory.

Indeed. Actually thought they where going to be the same coolers as whats on the 2900XT.

Would make sense, save costs on a new design and they've already got production up and running... The only reason they wouldn't use the same design would be if they were intent upon using a single slot solution, but people are so used to the larger coolers now it isn't worth it imo.

Actually this has a side benefit for their marketing.

Enthusiasts will drop aftermarket coolers on them clok them up where they should be, get fantastic results (hopefully) and then spam the foums around the web with how great the new cards are at such a low price.

Why do I have this awful feeling that the 3870 is not gonna be a 8800GT killer... :(

Well, the 2900 keeps up with a 8800GTS 640 when AA isn't part of the benchmarks. The 8800GT runs out of puff when high resolutions and AA are involved and is slower than a 8800GTX. Right now, we have no idea where the new cards will fit into this equation. The 3870 X2 should, if the drivers are up to it, outperform a 8800GTX - similar to what nVidia did with the 7950 GX2 to outperform the x1950XTX

Well, the 2900 keeps up with a 8800GTS 640 when AA isn't part of the benchmarks. The 8800GT runs out of puff when high resolutions and AA are involved and is slower than a 8800GTX. Right now, we have no idea where the new cards will fit into this equation. The 3870 X2 should, if the drivers are up to it, outperform a 8800GTX - similar to what nVidia did with the 7950 GX2 to outperform the x1950XTX

You are an overly optimistic person...

You are an overly optimistic person...

How?! Direct competition for a X3870 X2 would be dual 8800GTXs, I'm not saying it'll keep up with that, just might be faster than a single 8800GTX. If anything it's pessimistic, that 2 of ATi's top of the line GPUs could be a little faster than one of nVidia's year old GPUs, but there you go. :bang head

If ati "fixed" the poor performing aa then the 3870 should do well since it has all that memory bandwith. I'm a little intimidated actually. The memory is clocked at 2400mhz :eek:

How?! Direct competition for a X3870 X2 would be dual 8800GTXs, I'm not saying it'll keep up with that, just might be faster than a single 8800GTX. If anything it's pessimistic, that 2 of ATi's top of the line GPUs could be a little faster than one of nVidia's year old GPUs, but there you go. :bang head

Even before AMD bought ATI they fell way behind Nvidia. Honestly I think the merger was the worst thing that could happen to ATI. AMD isnt looking to be on top, they are happy with being almost competitive. At least thats what I am seeing.

My hypothesis is that the new ATI cards will perform less than the 8800GT one to one. I also believe that SLI will still dominate Crossfire.

I see this because of the two business models now.

Nvida is primarily graphics with chipsets following.

AMD/ATi is primarily CPU's with graphics following. Even though technically they are two separate divisions, AMD puts their processor business first.

If ATI couldnt come out with cards before the merger to beat Nvidia cards, then its a longshot now that they will be able to.

Guess we will know later this month. My money is on Nvidia still remaining dominant. Its a shame really because I like ATI.

Another personal observation is the huge difference in game benches between the two.

Some games nvidia is WAY ahead of ATI. In others not so much ahead. When I see that I think it has to do with the programming of the game. Wish game devs would code equally, its obvious they dont as almost every game has the Nvidia logo and not ATI.

Back