• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8800GT, not even 12 hours ownership and I've voided the warranty! (pics)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

=ACID RAIN=

And I've already got it watercooled and heatsinks AS epoxied to the ram ;)

So what does an 8800GT hit under load on good cooling? How about 34C? :drool:

Here's the card!
8800gt_no_hs.jpg

Installed! (Sorry forgot to take a pic of the heatsinks I cut, sanded and epoxied on :( )
q6600_8800gt.jpg

And the screenshot! I had to shrink it some because my host is being gay tonight... (image is link!)

All stock at time of pics, more to come later on OC results under water :)

Oh man, I just ran 3DMark 06, with zero tweaks to the drivers or overclocking, score of 12125 :D

Oh and I topped out at a scary massive 37C on the GPU. Man this is gonna be fun!

All yall that held out with the 7900GT or whatever you have that's DX9, now it the time, this is one spankin' card.

yeah 37c is the load of mine under a MCW60 at its overlclock (sig). I also void'd my warrenty after a couple of hours. So worth it.

I was playing crysis on "Very High" everything at 1280x1024 in vista. 40fps avg (no AA)

15k 06 points in XP

yeah 37c is the load of mine under a MCW60 at its overlclock (sig). I also void'd my warrenty after a couple of hours. So worth it.

I was playing crysis on "Very High" everything at 1280x1024 in vista. 40fps avg (no AA)

15k 06 points in XP

Exactly what I want to hear! We have almost the exact same setup/horsepower. I too am playing Crysis on VISTA at 1280x1024. I have been playing on my GTS 320 w/ medium/high settings, but I sent my card out for step-up to the GT. eVGA got my card today, and already sent me a tracking number for my new card! Very quick turn-around. Good-job eVGA! :beer:

Anxiously awaiting "very high" settings, and 15k!

I checked the Swiftech website and it states to use the standard MCW60 mounting plate rather than the 8800 mounting plate for the GT. Understandable since it's more similar to the 7-series cards. When you mounted yours did you feel like the stock 7-series mounting plate worked fine though? I think it was someone on xtremesystems claimed that the 8800GT isn't *quite* the same height as the 7-series GPUs and so they had to be careful mounting not to damage the core because it's a tiny bit higher. Did you feel this was true at all?

if its evga i know that your warrenty is not voided by adding aftermarket cooling, only if when a problem occurs you can 100% say that it wasnot your cooling... this includes water cooling, and aftermarket air cooling.... and if you send ur card back in you just pop the stock cooling on.

as for using AS adhesive for ram chips... i woulda just used some as5 and 2 tiny drops of crazy glue... they would be much easier to pop off

But nice temps and scores... lol i was at frys today and some dude was returning his 8800gts 640 for an 8800gt 512!

This is hysterical. OC speeds?
Ugh, this one isn't a domination clocker unfortunately. So far stable clocks seem to be 702 core, 1053 mem, 1728 shader.

I checked the Swiftech website and it states to use the standard MCW60 mounting plate rather than the 8800 mounting plate for the GT. Understandable since it's more similar to the 7-series cards. When you mounted yours did you feel like the stock 7-series mounting plate worked fine though? I think it was someone on xtremesystems claimed that the 8800GT isn't *quite* the same height as the 7-series GPUs and so they had to be careful mounting not to damage the core because it's a tiny bit higher. Did you feel this was true at all?
It wasn't really a concern to me. I mean yeah that core is huge and fragile, so I was extremely careful. I hand-tighten the nuts on each bolt, working crossways like you would tightening the lugs on a wheel. I typically hold the block as well as possible flat against the core while I bring all 4 down to loose/tight, then work crossways. I didn't check if the block itself touched the shim or not visually, but it never felt odd so I just went with it. Likewise I didn't check height between the core and the shim. Wish I had more for ya there, sorry :-/. I'm using a viperfang II block, so I can't really comment on anything on the MCW60. But I can tell you the 7900 series holes and the 8800GT holes are an EXACT match though.

if its evga i know that your warrenty is not voided by adding aftermarket cooling, only if when a problem occurs you can 100% say that it wasnot your cooling... this includes water cooling, and aftermarket air cooling.... and if you send ur card back in you just pop the stock cooling on.

as for using AS adhesive for ram chips... i woulda just used some as5 and 2 tiny drops of crazy glue... they would be much easier to pop off

But nice temps and scores... lol i was at frys today and some dude was returning his 8800gts 640 for an 8800gt 512!
Yeah I know about the warranty thing, known about since the way back, but I want serious cooling capability that tape can't provide, and I'm not a big fan of the ol superglue job ;)

So basically, since these heatsinks are permanent, this is my card now :D

Ugh, this one isn't a domination clocker unfortunately. So far stable clocks seem to be 702 core, 1053 mem, 1728 shader.

It wasn't really a concern to me. I mean yeah that core is huge and fragile, so I was extremely careful. I hand-tighten the nuts on each bolt, working crossways like you would tightening the lugs on a wheel. I typically hold the block as well as possible flat against the core while I bring all 4 down to loose/tight, then work crossways. I didn't check if the block itself touched the shim or not visually, but it never felt odd so I just went with it. Likewise I didn't check height between the core and the shim. Wish I had more for ya there, sorry :-/. I'm using a viperfang II block, so I can't really comment on anything on the MCW60. But I can tell you the 7900 series holes and the 8800GT holes are an EXACT match though.

Yeah I know about the warranty thing, known about since the way back, but I want serious cooling capability that tape can't provide, and I'm not a big fan of the ol superglue job ;)

So basically, since these heatsinks are permanent, this is my card now :D

But it's still not voided, send them back and tell them you included some free RAM sinks :santa:

Now volt mod it!

my roommate killed his gts card and had as adhesive on it sent it in they said they couldn't touch it sent it back and now hes tearing off the heatsinks (prolly some of the mem too) and returning it just for giggles since he bought an 8800gt a couple days ago

Ok thanks for your input I will have to check it out closely when mine comes. I believe VJ uses the MCW as the basis for his blocks but I could be wrong. I will have the card out on a table and test mount it.

Basically the other guy said that the chrome standoffs between the mounting plate and the card don't quite reach the PCB surface becuase the G92 is slightly higher than 7-series GPUs. If there's anything obviously wrong or even if there's a slight shim needed between the chrome standoffs and the PCB like a washer or two I will be sure to post a thread.

Well I figured out what's limiting my GPU OC. 3D load voltage is supposed to be 1.10v and mine is only 1.073. That's what I can't go over ~700 on the GPU. I'll be raising that soon enough ;)

Well I figured out what's limiting my GPU OC. 3D load voltage is supposed to be 1.10v and mine is only 1.073. That's what I can't go over ~700 on the GPU. I'll be raising that soon enough ;)

Subscribed. :) Very intruiged to see how high you can push this GPU. Good luck!

Oh let there be a software vmod for us chickens please. :D Considering temps, it's going to be nice seeing some high core/shader speeds...

First off warrenty isn't voided thanks to EVGA :)

Second.. we want more ;)

I really think it's debatable at best, with epoxied ramsinks. But I don't plan on returning it anytime soon so it doesn't matter ;) :D

I'll grab a VR sometime soon and see what can be done, maybe raise the vGPU to a max of about 1.25 and see what that nets me. If I can hit 800 core with shaders linked, I'll be one happy dude.

As for the memory, I had it running at ~1080, but they hard locked on me while testing. 1050 did too, but it took a while (and a new test). 1000 seems to run great, so I'll stick with that. From other people, the ram doesn't respond with higher volts so I'm not going to bother trying to push that further.

So as of now, these are my stats
8800gt_700_1000.jpg

My CCNA class needs some attention until this weekend, so no volt mods before then ;)

Back