• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Raptor(s)? New Seagate Drives?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Legion2005

Hey there,

I am going to be building a new PC in the next couple of weeks, I would like to know what the best hard drive setup would be. At the moment, I have two 80GB drives stripped, then one other for storage. I'm not sure i'm impressed with the stripped drives, I dont know if it is the old raid controller on my K8N though.

I would like about a TB of space, but I want performance also. Not sure if I should stripe the drives or not, I will have a lot of music and videos I dont really want to lose. What hard drives are the good ones out there? Ive heard the 10k RPM raptors are good, but then I hear about some 7200 RPM seagate drives being as good or better. Is it worth it to spend $250 and up on a raid controller for raid 5?

Get a Raptor for you OS/app drive and a Hitachi or Seagate 1TB drive for storage. A handlful of the newest drives can match the Raptor in transfer rates, but don't get close in file access. And if you're not impressed with the transfer rate of your current drives in RAID0, going to a single drive with a bit less performance in this area won't bother you. It's likely your usage doesn't benefit much from it.

Last edited:
When it comes to Raid 5 with a big storage, a decent dedicated Raid controller is always better than mobo/chipset raid.

When it comes to Raid 5 with a big storage, a decent dedicated Raid controller is always better than mobo/chipset raid.

I agree. The software side of things make it much more simplistic when it comes to setting it up or modifying it. It can also handle failures much better, with things like hot spares and email notifications etc..

I can personally vouch for Adaptec cards :D

Back