• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel Quad with Corsair

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hookem

Time to switch to Intel and get back into more than just mild overclocking.

Looking to get a Q6600, pair it the Abit IP35 E and use the G. Skill memory in the AMD rig listed in my sig.

I have a 500watt Blue Storm II but want to move to a modular power supply and wonder if I can get away with the 520watt Corsair without it affecting my overclocking potential.

Have not decided on the video card but it will be a single card...8800...2900...Just do not know.

Will the Corsair hold me back or should I go with some other supply ???

If so, should I go with the 620 Corsair or are there better options in the 150.00 dollar price range.

Thanks for any recommendations, feedback or information.

:soda:

I have a 500watt Blue Storm II but want to move to a modular power supply and wonder if I can get away with the 520watt Corsair without it affecting my overclocking potential.

I'm terribly sorry to say that your overclocking potential may be affected positively :D

The Corsair is a better product than the FSP. No individual OCP to hold back the 12V potential, and indy regulated vs. group on the FSP. It uses a better grade of components as well.

If you plan on running more than one 8800, I'd go for the 620W instead but you should be ok with the 520W for the sig rig.

Well coming from the Wolf I will take it to the bank.

New rig will consist of.

Lian-Li PC-7B Plus II...Intel Q6600, Abit IP35, 2 1gig G.Skill F2's, 2 250gig Segate 410AS's in Raid O with the 500gig WD for storage, Some flavor of nVidia 8800, 2 IDE DVD CD/RW's...And of course the 520 Corsair power supply.

I have a sata Lite-On burner that might end up in there also...Probably sell it as it seems to give me extremely slow burns at times...No ryme or reason just goes way slow.

I like having all the other junk to...Lian-Li T4...Lian-Li card reader...Vantec SATA Ez-Swap...And my beloved 1.44 Mitsumi floppy drive...LOL...Hate having someone hand me a floppy and having to bust out the Toshiba USB floppy drive.

Thanks for the reply.

:burn:

the only thing imma do is poke you to get the IP35-PRO!! :thup:

as wolf is the man with psu's, i would only say he is right on the money about that.

Time to switch to Intel and get back into more than just mild overclocking.

Looking to get a Q6600, pair it the Abit IP35 E and use the G. Skill memory in the AMD rig listed in my sig.

Have not decided on the video card but it will be a single card...8800...2900...Just do not know.

Will the Corsair hold me back or should I go with some other supply ???

If so, should I go with the 620 Corsair or are there better options in the 150.00 dollar price range.

Thanks for any recommendations, feedback or information.

:soda:

That corsair will do great, as others have said.

What cooling are you planning on using? just out of interest...

"What cooling are you planning on using? just out of interest... "

Air...Gave up on h2o a couple of years back...Spent to much time and money trying to catch up with the "Bat Boys" around here...LOL...Never even got in the ball park (pun intended)...Should have asked for some help on my OCing adventures...I sure crispy fried up a bunch of stuff, that's for sure...Puff the Magic Dragon??? More like the smell of defeat in the morning...The smell of beyond well done computer componets.

I have a Lian-Li PC-7B Plus II with the window coming from Performance-PC's.

I am a ThermalRight fanboy all the way...Really do not care for the tower coolers and will probably go with the SI 128 SE ThermalRight or the best one they sell that is not a tower...Possibly a Zalman, but probably not unless they have one that will out perform the SI 128 SE.

I will do my usual...Take the right side off and cut a hole for a 120m/m fan as close to the center of the processer and northbridge without losing any of the mobo stand off's...Then cut a square out of the door...I have had great (for me) results overclocking on air using this mod.

I can live with the 80m/m blow hole fan...I want to use 1200rpm Sycthe S-Flex fans front and rear...But since I am kinda of a UV black light nut...I will probably go with the blue UV reactive Yate Loon's they sell at Jab-Tech and sleeve everthing else with FlexTech blue UV sleeving.

I had a CoolerMaster CM690...Could not get the right side door off...Took it back and it took 3 guys with screw drivers a couple of hammers, beating, banging and prying on it.

They got it off...LOL...Then the decided to put it back on...They could not get it back off again.

So they gave me a credit and I purchased a Corsair HX520W...Probably going to pick up the Q6600 from Directron and order the motherboard from Newegg.

LOL...Had to put all the stuff in my sig in a Antec PlusView that has been in my closet for years...Man this thing is loud...2 92m/m NMB's up front...120 Antec on the right side...92m/m NMB blow hole fan...2 Antec UV fans in the rear and another in the door...Geezzzz...Even having all the fans 7 volted except the 120 on the right side it is loud...Amazing it never really bothered me when I had it up and running.

I can make em purty and rock solid, but...Gettin kinda tired of all that business so back to the Hot Roddin syndrome.

I can hear my wallet squealing like a pig already...Oh well...Squeal all you want !!!!

:burn:

Evilsizer have a question for you...I see you pushing me towards the IP-35 Pro.

the only thing imma do is poke you to get the IP35-PRO!!

Could you please elaborate on why you feel the IP35-Pro is worth the x2 price tag.

Thanks...Because I hate buying something and then have buyers remorse.

:confused:

im not sure where you see 2x the price, as you stated the IP35. which to newegg is $129.99 vs 184.99 w/$20 mir=$144.99. the IP35-pro uses a highly tweak layout for ocing..As the IP35-E and IP35 use the same pcb and bios, not shared with the IP35-pro board.

the traces in the pcb have a better layout,same thing with the PWM's that kind of tweaking. it leads to a better ocing board...

would be the difference of say buying a ECS p35 vs a true ocing board..

I'm sorry...It seems I must have mixed up the boards.

Newegg has the Abit IP35 E for 89.95.

Now that I compare the two boards...That is some good advice you are giving me...I love connectivity...The optical in and out...The eSATA...And last but not least is the matrix RAID.

So for my money the IP35 LGA is not the way to go...Just got the "E" mixed up.

Still stuck in AMD mode...Dont know about the matrix raid...But I am ready to give it a whirl that's for sure.

Thanks...Can you say Pro ???

Oh YEAH !!!!!

:)

nothings wrong with either as you can see by my sig... but alot of the voltage options in the pro are really expanded vs the ip35-e/ip35.
im stll on the fence about getting x38, as abit's x48 is ddr3 only... eh i may just stick with this high end single card setup. though about sli but im in a wait and see mode.. i do know that a 45nm dual core is on my list. i could say that if we look at the 45nm QX9650 at specced 130watts but really 75watts tpd. i would guess that dual core tdp is going to be really 40-50 watts but i bet intel is gonna stick with 65watts.

matrix raid is a really fun toy.....let me find that thread now...ahh here we go,Enter the Matrix!!

Back