• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newbies Overclocking Woes

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TopHunter

Registered
I have recently recieved a computer and I am trying to overclock it. As this is my first overclock, having started reading up on how to do it just yesterday, I am of course, confused.

Specs
Motherboard: Asus K8N-E
Chipset: nForce3 250
Processor: Venice Athlon 64 3000+ (2GHz)
Memory: 1GB Corsair DDR 400
Graphics Card: nVidia Geforce 7600GS (512MB)

I have the CPU "FSB" overclocked to 220 (200 stock) and if it goes any higher the computer begins to reset. I have the HT multiplier at 3x making the HTT 660, so that cannot be the cause of the resetting and general instability. The CPU cannot be the cause of this resetting because the person I recieved this computer from had the CPU at 2.4GHz, and said it could have gone a little bit higher then that.

That leads me to the RAM, in all of the tutorials I have read, they had said that to see how high the HTT/CPU could go, I should lower the RAM to around 133. The lowest it can go (according to the BIOS) is 200. So right now I cannot lower it at all, leading me to believe this could be the cause of the problem. :confused: That is my understanding anyway, which I am sure is incorrect considering I just started reading up on this process yesterday.

So, if it is in fact the RAM holding me back, is there a way to up the FSB without making the RAM go faster, or if it's something else, how do I get passed it?

Please help :(

Use dividers to keep ram in spec while raising fsb on your cpu. Unfamilar with your board's bios but there should be an option for this

To check what speed your memory is running, use CPU-Z (http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php, under the memory tab). With your memory speed set to 200 (I assume 400 is the highest, so this is essentially a 1/2 multiplier), your memory should be running at 220/2=110MHz right now, which is well within the specs for DDR400 (200MHz).

If any of those numbers don't check out, then recheck your settings and make sure all the math for the dividers is right (not familiar with your board so I don't know)

If those numbers do check out, then start looking at your CPU voltage. Though a venice should do 2.4 with not much extra voltage, you should see if bumping it up a bit helps.

Back