• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Has anyone tried gametap?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ratbuddy

What's the catch? They seem to have a lot of games I'd like to replay, and it seems pretty cheap..

I use it every now and again, I only play the free games they have though. Its just about the only place to play the old arcade games without having to buy them.

I'm kinda excited - they list a LOT of cool RPGs.. including Ultima 1-6, Betrayal at Krondor, Might and Magic 3, Deus Ex.. X-COM, HOMM3, I could go on and on.. If it's all included, I'm gonna have to sign up.. Can't believe I just heard of it..

HOMM3 is the shi* :)

It's the one game in the series I haven't tried, and many reviews say it is the best..

EDIT: I was on the fence when I thought it was 10 bucks a month, now I see you can do a year for $60.. Unless someone follows up with some real issues, I'm sold.. That's not much more than a single new game costs..

Last edited:
It's the one game in the series I haven't tried, and many reviews say it is the best..

EDIT: I was on the fence when I thought it was 10 bucks a month, now I see you can do a year for $60.. Unless someone follows up with some real issues, I'm sold.. That's not much more than a single new game costs..

Google it before you do, just as a precaution. Ive never heard of anyone having any problems though.
and yes, its definitely the best :)

Arcade games? I've been playin Marvel VS Capcom, but not through them. *hint hint*

Don't care about arcade games, I'd just get MAME and, er, legally buy some game boards and dump the roms to my computer.. Er.. The older PC games you can't legally buy any more are the reason I'd subscribe to it, even though I already own most of them on floppy.. Somewhere.. I haven't had a floppy drive connected since I needed it for the RAID driver.. Before that it was years.. And who knows how they'd work in XP without Dosbox.. Gonna wait a day or two for feedback here, then pull the trigger..

I subscribed for a month to try out the Uru MMO. Gametap worked fine, I have no complaints. The Uru MMO is a different story, hehe. I ended up playing though some of the old Myst games and then cancelled after a month. If you see some games that you like on there, I'd say go for it, it's a pretty good deal, especially if you are into the older games.

How do the older games work though? Does it come with a working app of DOSBOX or do you still have to work with that yourself?

Shucks, I've still got all my old games.

Anyone heard of Ringworld? (i've got it)

The best time I ever had was playing X-com:UFO on my AMD X2 4200+
The world map didn't have a frame limiter.
I was at the end of the first month before i had a chance to place my base.

How do the older games work though? Does it come with a working app of DOSBOX or do you still have to work with that yourself?

They claim it's all wrapped in an easy launcher.. Which might stink for the Ultima series - I'd prefer those with Tandy 3 voice sound.. Either way, I'm in for a year..

Back