• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8600GT 256MB superclocked memory question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Spawn-Inc

so i just got this card and i was looking at oc'ing it through ATi tool and it shows the memory at 750MHz not the 1500MHz as advertised. i then checked in GPU-Z and Ntune. i'm pretty sure i saw somewhere (might have been here) that what it shows is actually doubled.

any thoughts?

anyone considering this card, i went from 12-26fps in crysis at 800x600 on all low settings with a 7200GS/2300SE and now i get 35-40 on all medium at 1024x768.

also, does anyone know what program can adjust the fan speed? i saw rivatuner, but it doesn't want to change the speed for me. anyone know how?

Different programs report the memory speed differently. It's Dual Data Rate (DDR) memory so its twice the actual speed. 2x750=1500

it says DDR3 though, i'm not worried that i'm getting jipped, i just wanted to make sure.

DDR3 (Dual Data Rate version 3). Your fine...not getting jipped. That's how all DDR (1 2 or 3) memory is reported.

ahh, thanks very much! i guess thats why the ram chips look the same as my ddr2 ram.

while this is here, what after market coolers will fit on the 8600GT? while under load its getting to 70-73C (ati tool) and thats just to hot for me. does anyone know the max temp it can hit? i have heard 100C

ya i suppose so, i installed the a older driver and i can now change the fan from ntune sowftware. i also added my celeron fan over the video card fan. its dropped temps to 48 from 51.

Back