• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

cheap OC board for 2160

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
if your looking for a cheap board i overclocked my e2160 on an asrock conroe-1333 d667 to 3.15ghz @ 350 fsb this is with the 1066fsb pin mod and the 1.55v pin mod. i think you can get this board for around $80 or less

this is one of the easyest boards to overclock if you oc too far it just resets and goes back to stock none of this resetting bios crap

the only thing is you have to do the 1066fsb mod to get over 233mhz because the pci-e devider for 1066fsb wont kick in its self and your pci-e ends up over 120mhz.

the pin mods are easy to do all you need is insulating tape and conductive paint that you can get from any car shop for repairing heated windows.

vr zone has all the volt mods and you should be able to google for the fsb mods

I'd go w/ one of your selections as opposed to the AsRock. The Abit. If you don't need RAID it's an excellent board.

well i pulled the trigger thanks for the input. looked at the blood iron noticed some complaints about the hs on that board :/ ah well guess its too late to change my mind either way lol.

zipzoomzl5.jpg

neweggty8.jpg

Last edited:
I'd go w/ one of your selections as opposed to the AsRock. The Abit. If you don't need RAID it's an excellent board.

yea your probibly better going for a big name board. ive never had a problem with an asrock board and the only reason i said the conroe-1333 d667 is the motherboard will hit 350 fsb with 2 pin mods.

if your looking for a board to OC then try and get one thats rated for 1333fsb so you know you have got plenty of overhead on it

damn i just seen the price boards u were sugesting! get one of those just check they have vcore ajustment and fsb 1333 or your gonna have to pin mod

yeah the abit goes to 1333. im pretty sure i can adjust vcore on it. abit has always been pretty good on oc options. but ill post as soon as i get her up and goin :D

The GA-P31-DS3L and slightly more expensive GA-P35-DS3L are both very solid overclocking boards. I'm running a 2160 at 3.15GHz on a GA-P31-DS3L right now and had it running Orthos stable at 3.2GHz earlier.

It got too hot though, and I had to bump it back and turn down the voltage a bit. I didn't like seeing 80C at load. I didn't get a great 2160 because it needs more voltage than most 2160's it seems. I could probably take it higher as I was able to boot and get to Windows at 3.3GHz and 3.4GHz (378MHz FSB x 9), but it needed 1.5Vcore to do it and the Thermalright Ultra 90 I'm using couldn't keep up. The motherboard, however, was not an issue. With adequate cooling, I'm confident I could get close to 400MHz on the FSB with this board.

The GA-P31-DS3L and slightly more expensive GA-P35-DS3L are both very solid overclocking boards. I'm running a 2160 at 3.15GHz on a GA-P31-DS3L right now and had it running Orthos stable at 3.2GHz earlier.

It got too hot though, and I had to bump it back and turn down the voltage a bit. I didn't like seeing 80C at load. I didn't get a great 2160 because it needs more voltage than most 2160's it seems. I could probably take it higher as I was able to boot and get to Windows at 3.3GHz and 3.4GHz (378MHz FSB x 9), but it needed 1.5Vcore to do it and the Thermalright Ultra 90 I'm using couldn't keep up. The motherboard, however, was not an issue. With adequate cooling, I'm confident I could get close to 400MHz on the FSB with this board.

your rig is nearly the same as mine my e2160 needs 1.5v to be stable at 3.2ghz and it hits over 75 with my arctic cooling freezer 775 with prime 95 but every other program doesnt push it past 70 including bionic or games so i just leave it there.

I'm tempted to go back to 3.2GHz or maybe even a bit higher for that very reason. Running F@H SMP probably wouldn't even hit 70C at 3.2GHz, 1.5Vcore. It's not like I'm running Orthos 24x7.

glockjs,

I bet you will like your board, right now running E2140 at 3400 (425 *8) rock solid

sam

cool. yeah im gathering that i could have gone either way and got a solid board :D its just the waiting for it to arrive is the killer part :( and ordering from two dif companys might show up on dif days im now realizing qq :(

Evilsizer,

no pad here, nice technique though, but find it kinda funny, before we use to put wire to united pins, ect now no pins on chip, so now padding it :D

always learning something new, love that, thx for the links

Alacritan,

haven't run that test, just setup up this unit recently, thx guys for all who help with suggestions, and learning about these new programs currently in use, have always use my games, and prime (12-24hrs) to test stability, no crashes and no errors = to me its stable,

but will try to use it soon, what version is the latest right now? link?, thx

load 60-65c and 1.40 Vcore, ultra 120 with tri cool antec fan

sam

Back