• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do I have to reinstall xp or just replace files?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

darkchakra

Registered
I'm planning to switch AMD sempron 2500 to p4 2.8 ghz+motherboard(keeping the rest) and keeping the same hard drive. Question is can I just do the repair option in xp pro setup to replace just the system files without formatting or do I have to format C drive(I have 1 hard drive with 2 partitions) keeping the D drive? Also, should I uninstall the programs before setup such as the games stored in D drive or just delete them after installation?

Last edited:
Just unistall all of the drivers before switching. After switch install new driver and activate windows.

You could consider yourself VERY lucky if you didn't run into any major problems, without at least performing a repair install. Like Red_LightRanger suggested, a clean install is the preferred method, especially when switching from an AMD to Intel setup (or vice versa).

Back