• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

To get a Q6600 or SLI ??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trickson

MAN OH MAN .
I just don't know what I want to do here maybe you can help?
I was think of getting another 8800GTS and SLI'ing the one I have this would make me happy .
But I was also thinking of getting a Q6600 this would also make me very happy .
I am going to do both of thies just what to do first ?

Should I just get the PNY 8800 GTS and get the Q6600 next time or vice versa ? :confused:

Please don't tell me to get any other video card as this is fine . unless I can run it in SLI with the one I have . Thank You .
I Know all about the 8800GT's and all that I have what I have and well I plan to keep it and just SLI it with another one .
What I want to know is what I should do first . (If I were you) ...

If I were you...

I'd get both now! But since you don't want to do that, just stick with getting an SLI setup for now. That is, if you do a lot of gaming, which I'm assuming. The E6750 is a solid processor and overclocks well, as I see you've got it running at 3.6Ghz. I think you'll notice a much greater performance increase with another 8800GTS than a slightly upgraded CPU.

If I were you...

I'd get both now! But since you don't want to do that, just stick with getting an SLI setup for now. That is, if you do a lot of gaming, which I'm assuming. The E6750 is a solid processor and overclocks well, as I see you've got it running at 3.6Ghz. I think you'll notice a much greater performance increase with another 8800GTS than a slightly upgraded CPU.

Cool sounds great thank you .

Depends on what you do with your computer. If you surf, email, and word process then save your $s.

The number of games that fully use a quad still remains limited. So if you're a gamer, the extra video might be best. However there are not huge gains --- SLI will put you in the ball park of the performance of a GTX.

If you do a reasonable amount of work on your machine like video encoding plus other apps at the same time then the quad would be a good upgrade.

Enjoy! :beer:

Dude, dont ever waste your money on another GTS. One single 8800Gt will smoke SLI GTS's. Overclocked that is...

For the most bang for the buck grab the GT. I went from a GTS 320 to a GT and my 06 score went from 11970 to 15100+!! See sig for actual scores. ANd thats in Vista.

Then later on Grab a Penryn when there released. To buy a Kentsfield now is real foolish. Also I saw hardly no performance increase over my C2D when I switched to Quad. Only benches showes the increase in performance.

Dude, dont ever waste your money on another GTS. One single 8800Gt will smoke SLI GTS's. Overclocked that is...

For the most bang for the buck grab the GT. I went from a GTS 320 to a GT and my 06 score went from 11970 to 15100+!! See sig for actual scores. ANd thats in Vista.

Then later on Grab a Penryn when there released. To buy a Kentsfield now is real foolish. Also I saw hardly no performance increase over my C2D when I switched to Quad. Only benches showes the increase in performance.

With my e6750 + 640 GTS, i can score near 12k ... Add a Q6600 which from what I've seen ups your score by almost 1k more points .. (same OC)

So that would be around 13k points on a single GTS (old version) .. I'm sure if he got one of the new 112 SP version GTS with the older one it would beat a single GT .... (old GTS / New GTS in SLI)

Not saying that upgrading to a GT would be a bad idea .. if you could sell that card, grab x2 GT's you would be set. x2 GT > x2 GTS (not sure about the new versions of the GTS's in SLI ..)

Let's say I build a new machine with a 680i board with a new 45nm processor, would I need an older processor just to update the BIOS?

tough call with out one to test in my 680i.... i dunno, since my board doesnt have the micro code for the celey-l 420 yet boots up and i can load a dos floppy with out problem. i would just say you need a older cpu first...

Let's say I build a new machine with a 680i board with a new 45nm processor, would I need an older processor just to update the BIOS?

Ask the eVGA support folks. Guess you could always buy one direct from eVGA and get them to ensure the latest bios.

Back